Saturday, January 2, 2016

A SHOWCASE OF FLOATS

 Disneyland Float

Michel and Monique picked me and Grandpa up this morning to go to Pasadena to the "Post Parade" showcase of the floats.  It unreal to see these massive floats up close and personal.  People everywhere taking picture, but a beautiful day and a delightful time.


 The Dole float was one of my favorites.  So hard to believe every surface is covered with plants or something from nature.
 This snake had such detail.   Hissssssss!


Can you imagine how long it took to cover this elephant with a grey moss?

 The animals look so real!

I kept expecting these guys to jump right off the float.

 The dragon was massive and absolutely beautiful in the colors.

 Trader Joe's entry was "The Fearless Flyer"

 The details, unreal!

 The Downtown Abby Float was exceptional.  The car completely covered with petals and seeds. And guess what the cobblestones are??  Next picture!!

Yes, potatoes!!  How smart is that.


 Another favorite was Miracle-Gro because of the details of the tiles.  Oh my goodness they looked so real, and each one perfect.
 When you stand in front of this...you swear those are real bricks and even the stains running down the wall and the fountain.  Amazing!

 A close up of the tile work.  So pains taking, petal by petal.


A closer look at the fountain.


The bear was huge and looked so real.

 Betsy, this cardinal is for you.  He was big, and I liked the clouds in the background.


The eagle on his perch.


Another shot with the sky in the background...looks like he's taking flight!

Are you looking for me?

 This was outstanding!  In person it's just breathtaking.


Grandpa and Monique on Route 66
So that's just a sample of the tour we took this morning.  About 2 1/2 miles of floats.
This has been a great way to start the New Year.  Now on with the routine of living.

27 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved it ALL!!! Your new blog look is all dressed up and PRETTY!!! I don't think it is even within the realm of possibility for you to do ANYTHING that isn't PRETTY!!!!
    We are gearing up for normal.......but not yet! First we have a week or two at the ranch and I cannot WAIT!!!! Leaving Monday morning!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda you say such sweet things....goodness you almost make me blush. Not all is pretty, but I choose to make my blog a happy and safe spot. Thanks so much for your daily encouragement.
      Oh the ranch....how I would love to spend a week or two in your ranch heaven.

      Delete
  2. Great to see the floats up close. Thank you.🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to see the floats this way...thank you for sharing your wonderful photos. I took pictures of the tv of my favorite ones. My most favorite was Downton Abbey...thank you for showing the potatoes. I didn't hear them bring that out. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Downtown Abbey won several awards. It was beyond magnificent. I didn't show the swans swimming that were so beautiful. But it would take several blogs to do it all.

      Delete
  4. Simply gorgeous.
    When dave and I worked for the alumni associations of the teams that played in the Rose Bowl, we were tour guides for the alumni and took the guest to the float barns to watch the people making the floats for the parade. Such amazing painstaking work. one by one each petal, seed pod and grass is glued and attached to the frame work. Rather mind boggling. I'm so glad I had a chance to see it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine the behind the scenes. I know they must start the framework months before they actually begin the final flowers. I tried to get some really up close to show those individual leaves and pods...amazing.

      Delete
  5. Wowwwww! Such colour and detail and artistic talent. Thank you so much for sharing all these. Felt like I was there myself. The wildlife is just amazing. Can you imagine the hours that were devoted to this? Astounding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the amazing joys of So. CA. And now for the first time I've seen them up close and it's amazing, just amazing.l

      Delete
  6. An incredible amount of work and detail. That cardinal is lovely. Everything looks amazing! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the cardinal and also there were many eagles. So realistic.

      Delete
  7. oh my , never in my life have I seen a parade of floats so beautiful ,,,,,
    must have taken hours upon hours to complete these masterpieces,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the parade for years on TV, but to walk among them, study the work, smell the fragrance...it was marvelous. Pictures, no matter how good, just can't give you the feeling of being there.

      Delete
  8. They're wonderful, lucky you. Love the Downton Abbey one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the best. The details and imagination was outstanding. It won several awards.

      Delete
  9. Great photos Wanda. I would dearly love to see all that in person. I used to watch the shows on how the floats were made. Amazing. Blessings to all, xoxo Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an experience of a life time. Have watched it on TV for years...but to walk among the floats...priceless.

      Delete
  10. What a super fun parade filled with lovely floats! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a delightful day. And many of the whimsical animals, reminded me of you, and your darling animals.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for showing a bit of the parade through your eyes Wanda, they do things big time in the US that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Annual New Years Day Rose Parade is a highlight in So. CA,

      Delete
  12. It is phantastic to look at the pictures and I was really overwhelmed of so much artistry. Many thanks for sharing the parade! I enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome. Going to get back to Sunday Sketches next week.

      Delete
  13. I am so thankful for the photos. I would love to see these up close as you have had the opportunity too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how wonderful to see these! They are amazing! Thank you for sharing these photographs. I've been to the Rose Parade a couple of times, but seeing the floats up close like this is a real treat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great collection of floats!
    A parade like that would be fun!
    :0)

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)