Saturday, September 7, 2013

THOUGHTS FOR SUNDAY ~MAKING A DIFFERENCE




I heard a wonderful message at my daughter's church last week, and it made quite an impression on me.  It has changed the way I've prayed this week.  I'm sharing some of the insights in my prayer this week.

Dear Lord, you have touch my heart this week through your servant who opened the Word of God and gave me some new nuggets from Your Word.  I need to be a person who loves what is right, and HURTS over what's wrong.  I need to be a person who wants to lead real change, starting with MYSELF.  I need to be a person who wants to make a DIFFERENCE.  Lord help me deal WISELY with my distractions.  Lord I need to be a person who TRUSTS You fully, and put my LIFE where my Faith is.  Thank You for preachers who open Your Word, and encourage our hearts to Love you more.  I want to make a difference in my world.  I do love you deeply and dearly.  Amen.

With this on my mind, I made some choices that I believe will make a difference to at least two people.

Last Sunday the Pastor used the "Wordless Book" as part of his message on Salvation and Communion.  Wordless books made of felt were given to each member of the congregation.  I tucked mine in my purse.  Thursday morning I visited Elizabeth and we talked about a lot of things.  I ask her if she had ever seen a "Wordless Book"?  She said "no".  So I pulled mine out of my purse and proceeded to explain the simple plan of Salvation to her, sharing what each color represented.  When I was finished I ask her if she believed that Jesus was the Son of God, that we are all sinners, and in his love for us He died on the cross to forgive us our sins, and give us eternal life.  She said  she had heard this.  I said hearing is not enough Elizabeth.  Then I quoted John 3:16 using her name.

" For God so loved Elizabeth, that He gave his one and only son that if Elizabeth believes in him she will not perish, but Elizabeth will have eternal life."  I ask her if she wanted to received this gift of Salvation and she said yes.  It was a precious moment, as I teared up, and exclaimed, no matter what happens to us...we will always be together in Heaven!!  A difference was made in Elizabeth's life as she accepted the gift of Salvation.  Thank God for the Wordless book.  A boy of twelve saw it and was saved ( my dearest) and a women of 96 saw it and was saved.  God is so good!

The second person, was not so personal, but it was an act of kindness and a seed planted.  A young man sat outside the grocery store as I was entering and ask me for some change.  I ask him if he was hungry, and he said I'm dehydrated, would love something to drink.  I told him when I finished my shopping, I would bring him a drink.  As I picked up my small list, the Lord seemed to say, I'll bet that boy is hungry too, so a Turkey Sandwich from the Deli jumped into my cart.  On the way to the check out, I picked up a cold water and a soda.  I had the clerk put the sandwich and drinks in a separate bag and when I got outside, he was standing.  I handed him the bag and told him it had a sandwich and a couple of drinks.  I told him I knew how it felt to be in a hard place, and all I wanted from him, was when he was in a good place, to do something kind for someone.  He was wearing a wooden cross.  I ask him if he knew what that cross meant, and he said yes.  As I left, I told him then don't forget what He's done for you.  And I was gone.  Did that make a difference... I think so. 

Won't you join me this week and look for opportunities to MAKE A DIFFERENCE!  Have a lovely Sunday and a great week.

*image from googleimages.com

14 comments:

  1. Great post, Wanda. We just never know what difference our small (or large) actions will make. With our blogs, sometimes it is someone we never even knew was reading it when a thought or word catches hold. This blogging business is a delicate balance in saying what we want to say and saying what we need to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am writing this through tears.
    God is so good and your obedience reaped eternal rewards.
    I like how you saw that young man through God's eyes and met his needs, (both seen and unseen)
    Love you Dear Sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue...Funny how God puts things into our lives at JUST the RIGHT TIME. The message from Julie's pastor, our Pastor, and also, (I didn't mention in my blog) a message on a CD that our other daughter gave me from her church. The three messages..really have impacted my life. You are truly my dear Sister in the Lord.. And I can't wait to see you.

      Delete
  3. Chris, you are so right. This blogging business is a delicate balance.....

    Thanks for your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you live out your faith! You are truly a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cher...know you do the same. We can't help ourselves..I think God wired us the same way. Love you girlfriend.

      Delete
  5. Oh Wanda, that's so beautiful. Isn't it wonderful how the wordless book speaks to any age? I love what you did for the man outside the store. How kind and what a difference that kindness makes. Thanks for sharing this experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if a count could be given, just how many people will be in Heaven because of some form of the Wordless Book.

      Acts of kindness are easier that you think. You just have to be ready.

      Delete
  6. SO so wonderful to hear about Elizabeth. How sweet and a relief to know that she'll be in heaven one day.

    Now..."a turkey sandwich jumped in your cart" LOL!!! Are you sure it didn't fly with angel wings? :) Loved this story. Jake, who comments on my blog, and I were just talking about this same topic of spreading encouragement and doing small kind gestures for others. So simple and so easy...we need to be mindful and looking for ways to do more. I've seen some blogs do challenges of 30 acts of kindness in 30 days. I'd love to do that some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, don't you know I was thinking of you as I typed those words... HaHa. Things jump into your cart on a regular basis. (giggle)

      I felt such a burden lifted when I was sure she understood and said Yes to Jesus. Now I can't wait to continue our discussions and see God working in both of our lives.
      Yes, I've seen those blogs too. I think it would be easy if we just watch for those opportunities. Seizing the Devine Moment.

      Delete
    2. Your story of Elizabeth over the months is a wonderful example of how we plant a seed of friendship and water it and nurture it until the time is right and a heart is tender and willing to listen to God. I suspect if the first time you ever spoke to Elizabeth and pulled out that wordless book, it may not have had the same result. Shining a light for God doesn't really mean a strobe light, garish and pushy... but a steady, pure light filled with love and caring....everything in the right time! It's a small investment in a life that has eternal results. I love that.

      Delete
    3. Betsy.... No one could have said it better. That is so true... we just do those little things one layer at a time and ask God for the perfect moment. Sometimes it's not us... we plant, someone else waters, and someone else sees the harvest.. The main thing...GOD gets the CREDIT. I love your insight dear Betsy. Thanks for your encouragement.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)