If you read the comments on my blog there was a wonderful story from Betsy about my sourcream cinnamon coffee cake and how she remembered it from her grandmother.
However, as the story goes, her grandmother would not give out the recipe and took it to the grave. Well, I'm overjoyed to share the recipe with Betsy and any of you that are interested.
From Grandma GG's Kitchen (that's me)
Sour Cream~Cinnamon Coffee Cake
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
~~~
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 teaspon vanilla
1 cup Sour Cream
1/4 cup milk or half/half
set aside 1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspons cinnamon
Directions: In a mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside. In a large mixer bowl cream together the 1 cup sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Blend in sour cream and milk. Add flour mixture to sour cream mixture and mix well.
Grease and dust flour 2 9" round cake pans. Spread 1/2 of the mixture to each of the pans. Combine the 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle half of it over the batter. Add the remaining batter over the cinnamon in both pans. Use a case knife to cut through in a swirling pattern. Add the remaining sugar/cinnamon to the top and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. **This can also me made in one large cake pan, or 2 loaf pans. While it is still warm drizzle with a powder sugar glaze and sprinkle with slivered almonds. (if you use a large cake pan, you will need to bake it a little longer)
I trust you will enjoy this recipe as much as my family does. It's a favorite and also makes a pretty dish with the swirls!!

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I shall enjoy making it.
ReplyDeleteThat's great. Let me know how it turns out! Thanks for the visit. I will check out your blog.
DeleteThank you SO MUCH! I need to get some raisins and then I will definitely be making this to see if it's the same as Grandma's. Although I'm sure it's just as good even if it isn't. :-) You are so sweet to give this to us.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and love,
Betsy
You are so very welcome. It's been my pleasure to share recipes that people have enjoyed and ask for. I think the raisins could give it a nice touch. You can also add chopped nuts if desired. If I take it somewhere I usually leave out the nuts because of peoples allergies.
DeleteGrandma added raisins to hers, that's why I thought I would add them to yours.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Betsy
Let me know how it turns out. I may try adding the raisins next time. I love raisins.
DeleteThanks for this recipe!
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome. I always enjoy your recipes and pictures of your food.
DeleteThis looks wonderful! How very kind of you to share the recipe for her! God bless you!
ReplyDeleteI love sharing recipes. Spread the joy and the flavors!
DeleteYummy, yummy in my tummy !!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your recipe. It sounds delicious.
Hugs to you today. Its gray and dreary and only 58F right now. Still wearing my sweater and feeling chilly. Enjoy your weekend.
Sue
I like this recipe because it can be made into two 9" cakes. Some to share and some to eat. Trouble is, I could eat both by myself...haha. It's overcast here today, a ran a couple errands and going to stay put the rest of the day. Planning on going to church tomorrow and hopeful can take my dearest!!
DeleteThis sounds really good!
ReplyDeleteIt's one of our families favorites. Thanks for stopping by.
DeleteThis looks so delicious! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. I'm looking forward to making it soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by. I'm so glad you are going to try it. Let me know if you like it.
Delete