Sausage Egg Casserole
1 lb. ground pork sausage
1 tablespoon butter
1 bunch green onions ~ chopped
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
1 container of low fat cottage cheese (16 oz)
1 pound Monterey Jack cheese ~ shredded
2 cans diced green chile peppers ~ drained
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup melted butter
1. Place sausage in a large skillet. Cook on medium high heat until evenly browned. Drain and set aside. Melt butter in skillet and cook and stir the green onions and mushrooms until tender.
2. In a large bowl mix eggs, cottage cheese, Monterey Jack cheese and chilies. Stir in the sausage, green onions and mushrooms. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
4. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt. Blend in the melted butter. Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Pour into prepared baking dish.
5. Bake 40 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Stand back, put on a smile, and graciously accept the compliments.