Thursday, December 15, 2016

OK, DON'T LOOK IF YOU DON'T LIKE FRUITCAKE!!

 Did you peek?  Yes, that famous fruitcake that most people avoid like the plague.  But I'm one of the few that love it, (my recipe) and look forward to it each year.  I freeze most of it, and it will last me for several months.  Now tell me honestly...doesn't it look good?  ~~Ready to go in the oven ~~


 My dearest has "two" birthdays.  His legal birthday (11/14/1937) and his celebrated birthday (12/14/1937)  Seventy nine this year.  Celebrating with steak and eggs.
When he applied for his Social Security at 65 they required a copy of his birth certificate, which we didn't have.  We requested a copy from the County Records in Cincinnati, OH.  When it came back it showed his birth date as November 14, 1937.  His mother said it was December 14 and she should know she was there.  But that's not the end of the story.  When he was born he was a premy and weighed a little over 2 1/2 pounds and was in the hospital the first month of his life.  Either they made a mistake on the certificate, or Don's mom brought him home on December 14th and that was the date she always told him was his Birthday.
So on legal documents, it's November, but we still celebrate it as he have for his whole life on Dec. 14.

Our daughter Julie, and our granddaughter, Monica who was 21 on December 15th took Grandpa and myself out to breakfast to celebrate both Special Days.

Now does that look better than "fruitcake"?
Oh how about strawberry crepes?
How do you feel about fruitcake?  Yes or No?

17 comments:

  1. Not a fan of eating fruitcake, but it sure is beautiful! Happy birthday to your Beloved. Does he get presents twice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa Vee....No, the kids say his presents are on his celebrated date....But they love him year round....

      Delete
  2. No fruitcake here. I have to confess I have never given it a try, though. So my answer doesn't really count. My friend made a Mexican fruitcake, which was delicious.
    You changed the name of your blog!
    Happy birthday to your sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't your "traditional" fruitcake..just certain candied fruit and nuts.

      Didn't change my blog...just the Title for December. Will go back to "Got a Minute or Two" in January.
      Thank You for the birthday wishes.

      Delete
    2. I like that idea. Didn't know I could change the title.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen a fruit cake like yours :) My mum used to make some kind of fruit cake but it was never my favourite. And then I got allergic to nuts so now I avoid anything that has or may have nuts in it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not the "traditional" fruit cake... I didn't like that one either.
      This is so full of nuts, you would not want to touch it. HaHa. I have friends who can't have nuts.

      Delete
  4. Well, I can't say fruitcake is my first choice but yours does looks delicious.
    Wishing our Dear Don a double Happy Birthday!!
    If I can look and feel as good as Don, I look forward to 79 too!
    Those breakfasts look like the best way to celebrate and YES...strawberry crepes will make me very happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double Don...HaHa...He enjoyed his steak and eggs...doesn't do that very often. Julie had the crepes and I had the bacon, eggs and pancakes (took home half of it) Monica had a Choc. Chip pancake..it was a fun Birthday Breakfast.l

      Delete
  5. We like fruitcake here but one that is made with a jar of mincemeat. Alan especially likes it and when I showed him the picture of yours, he said, "That is not fruitcake. That is a pile of candy! No wonder she likes it!" Ha! Ha! Leave it to Alan to be funny. You are such a good cook and I know your fruitcake is to die for. I make your banana bread and it is the best I have ever eaten.

    Leave it to those Ohio people to mess you up! Ha! Ha! Some people celebrate birthday weeks. Leave it to Don to celebrate the whole month! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell your dear Alan that he has the gift of discernment.... I do like a pile of candy....and that's what makes it so good. I've had a "plum pudding that had a jar of mincemeat in it...so Alan I'm not all "sweet and sugar"...HaHs. Wish you lived closer..know we could have a lot of fun together with our hubby's.
      Hugs.

      Delete
  6. It is indeed a lovely looking cake, but I'm not a fan and prefer the steak and eggs. Happy birthday to you husband, what fun to have 2 birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He said the steak and eggs were worth celebrating...Yes he enjoyed both his birthdays.

      Delete
  7. I love fruitcake, too, but I seem to be in the minority. Yours looks so colourful!
    Oh, those birthday meals... I sooooo miss this type of food! Steak, eggs, crêpes, pancakes. You're killing me!!!
    Happy Birthday to Don. x2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, so sorry I keep showing things you can't have right now. I do remember when I had my gall bladder attacks before surgery ~ I couldn't eat anything without pain. Glad those days are over. Hope yours are soon. Don thanks you!!

      Delete
  8. No, thank you, on the fruitcake. But I'd sure enjoy any of those breakfast choices, birthday or not!
    Interesting story about Don's birthday. December's a great month for a birthday--Happy birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting story about your husband's date of birth. Nothing wrong with a month long celebration -- from the 14th to the 14th of both months. :) Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)