Thursday, November 19, 2015

THROW BACK THURSDAY





This is such a fun picture of my dad in his early years.  So young, so dapper, so romantic!  He was born in 1909 and passed away at 57.  Such a short life, for a man with so many dreams and talents.  Besides, being an inventor (never got any Patton's I'm sorry to say) he could make or fix anything.



When my mother passed away in 1991, at 79 (she never remarried)my sister and I found this poem our "romantic" dad had written to my mom, while she was away at a Ladies Church meeting.  She had left him his supper, and this was the note she found when she got home.

"The cake was good,
the apple sauce was better,
I was almost through
when I thought of the butter.
I ate and drank in an awful stew,
all because I was lonesome for you.
~ H.D. Dill

I've talked a lot about my mom and her influence on my life in my blog, but my dad had a huge influence on me too, and my love of reading, and telling tales (stories ~haha) was passed down from him.  He was a wonderful story teller, and kept us on the edge of our seat with his tall tales.

20 comments:

  1. I do love that poem, Wanda. He sounds like a wonderful, fun loving gentle-man.
    My Mom was born in 1909 too...lots of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a handsome fella! Love that he left that sweet poem for her. It's the little things that touch the heart. Sending you warm hugs as you think about your Dad. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a good looking man. When he was in his 50's his jet black hair and a Clark Cable mustache. What do most women want....not costly gifts, a note on her pillow her stuck in her purse. Awwwww.

      Delete
  3. Great photo of your dapper dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was a Dapper Dan". I love those old style clothes.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. One of my favorite photo's of Dad. Something special about a picture that's not in color.

      Delete
  5. How fun to find that old note all those years later.
    My dad drew Valentine's Day cards for my mom. They are sweet to have too.
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have my mom and dad's love letters. They are so precious, as most of their courting was in letters.

      Delete
  6. So special! Your daddy was a handsome man and a good poet, Wanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Vee. He was a good man.

      Delete
  7. Lovely photo of your wonderful dad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wanda, I am so sorry you lost your father when he was so young and still had much to teach his children. I love the way people would dress in their nice things for photos, or to go to church , or even to go to town. I miss our simpler times. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie. It was a simpler time. Everything is so casual now...anything goes. His stories and tales to live on in my and my kids and grandkids. That;s what we have to do when we lose someone so young.

      Delete
  9. Love your voice in your story about your Dad. The poem is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed reading about your dad Wanda. My dad was also one of those guys who could fix anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What treasures!!! A more romantic note has not been written!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)