Tuesday, August 25, 2015

SCONE RECIPE AND MY NEW PLATE


I was trying to remember what they call this kind of glass, and Betsy came to the rescue.  It's depression green glass.  My sister has been collecting it for years and has a hutch full.


She had two cake plates and gifted one to me.  I was anxious to use it.  This morning I made scones and they looks so pretty served on the plate.

Do you have any depression glass?  What color?  I've seen green and rose, and one piece of lavender.

APRICOT, WHITE CHOCOLATE, WALNUT SCONES

2 cups all-purpose flour                1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup granulated sugar              1 cup white chocolate chips
2 teaspoons baking powder           1 cup coarsely broken walnuts
1/2 teaspoon salt                            1 cup chopped dried apricots *
1/4 cup chilled butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 375 f.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and distribute them over the flour mixture.  With a pastry blender cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

In a small bowl stir together the cream, egg and vanilla.

Add chocolate chips, apricots and walnuts to flour mixture and coat all.   Make a well and add the cream mixture.  Stir and knead into dough.

On a lightly floured board pat the dough into a circle.  I divide the dough and make two smaller circles.  Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and score into 8 wedges. (you will have 16 smaller scones by dividing the dough.)
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned.

Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.  Recut the wedges if necessary.  My drizzle is 
optional...but it just gives them a finishing touch for looks and taste.

*You can substitute dried cranberries for apricots if desired.

Brew a pot of coffee and enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. Scones look great. I have some depression glass from my great auntie in rose. Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rose depression glass is really pretty too. Sending hugs back to you.

      Delete
  2. Your Scones look so delicious on the green depression glass. I have a few pieces mostly in rosy pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love thee rosy pink too. I'm not real familiar with depressed glass, and my only other piece is a little bud vase.

      Delete
  3. Your Scones look so delicious on the green depression glass. I have a few pieces mostly in rosy pink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum to the scones. They look perfect on your new platter.
    As I mentioned in your previous post, I have purchased some lovely depression glass pieces from Betsy - pink and green. Love them.
    I have collected various other pieces over the years including cranberry and clear. I would love to own amethyst ones too, but have not seen any... yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ~ I'm learning so much about depressed glass from you and Betsy. I was not familiar with the details. I guess my little lavender vase would be the amethyst. (I'm learning ) And now Betsy says there is also amber. Wow. Is the cranberry what we are calling pink or rose?

      Delete
    2. No - the pink is a true pink and the cranberry a true cranberry shade - much darker. There are also countless patterns, ribbing, swirls, edgings - lots of variety and very collectible these days. I just like it 'cause it's pretty.

      Delete
  5. Amber and amethyst colors are more rare...beautiful, though and pricey!

    Those scones look wonderful...I'm sitting in bed with my coffee before starting the day and I want one! Yum!

    I have a few green and pink pieces that were my grandmothers. Timeless beauties, they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm getting interested in all the colors and patterns. Martha mentioned a poinsettia pattern in rose..Guess I better go google...HaHa. Now I know my little vase is amethyst (not lavender) I love all the information ~ Thanks!!

      Delete
  6. My mom collected pink poinsettia depression glass and I have her collection here. There are other pieces as well, but the main part of the collection is the poinsettia pattern.

    I missed out on the scones at church Sunday morning. Someone told me there were scones on the snack table and I had the taste of yours on my tongue before I even got over there and then they were gone. Maybe I'll have to make my own.
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that depression glass had different patterns besides the colors.

      How nice you have your mom's collection.

      Delete
  7. How lovely ...I never made scones before and I think I will give this recipe a whirl ...apricot and walnuts are such a great pairing ....I love the serving plate too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed. They are good.

      Delete
  8. A friend of mines mom collects that type of glass. Anytime we go to First Monday in Canton (citywide flea market) and see something that looks like it we buy it for her. She can tell just by looking if its depression glass. I think we found maybe 1 or 2 things out of probably a few dozen we have bought. The scones look yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister's collection has been mostly one piece at a time. Years ago, before it became popular, she found pieces for less than a dollar. No more....it's really pricy in many cases if it't true depression glass. So now I have two pieces, the cake plate..and a small bud vase.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)