Monday, August 24, 2015

TUESDAY TIDBITS


Dinner last night was a throw back from my childhood.  Salmon croquettes, creamed corn and garden salad.  Topped off with fresh avocado slices.  It tasted like mom's.




Remember back in June I bought a flowering vine to attract hummingbirds since we cannot hang feeders from the balcony.



Well I think there were some magic beans in the bottom of the pot as it just keeps climbing.  I had to put a little trellis to accommodate it.  It's not as full of blooms now, but lots of buds waiting to open.  I've only seen a couple of hummingbirds ~~maybe they don't like the color of red. HaHa


 I took two of the babies from the Spider plant and transferred them in small pots...they are growing like crazy too.  That balcony is like a greenhouse.   I love it.


 When I was looking through my pictures from my sister trip, I forgot to share the Hilmar Cheese Factory.  All the cheese in made on the premises.  They have Visitor Center and cafe.  This is just a few miles from where my sister lives.



We met a dear friend there for lunch.  Her husband of many many years passed away recently, and we wanted to take her to lunch and encourage her.


 Rows and rows of cheese made right there on the grounds.


 In the Visitor Center they show the process to make the cheese behind glass windows.


 I happen to love cheese and Hilmar Cheese is really good.


The gift shop was full of darling things, but what I wanted was too big to bring on the train, so I just looked and drooled.  HaHa


What I did bring home was a beautiful cake plate.   Donna has been collecting green glass ware for years and had a hutch full.  She had two cake plates and wanted me to have one.  I wrapped it in all my clothes in the middle of my suitcase.  Isn't it pretty, can't wait to serve a cake or a ring of scones on it.

14 comments:

  1. What a great post! Full of news and great pics!
    That's a beautiful cake plate and I'm certain you will put it in use!
    I am spending the night in Quadville tonight and will have to catch up on my journal tomorrow. The quads start preschool in the morning and I don't want to miss their first day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Linda. What a fun day to see the quads start preschool. Can't wait to see the pictures. Have a good evening, Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Most of the sugar feeders you see are red so don't think that's the problem. Once those trumpets in full bloom, they'll be there diving inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, I loved watching the birds in our old home..we had a big back yard and I had several feeders. Had hummingbirds, sparrows, house finches and doves. I do love watching the birds.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure the hummers will come. they just have to find you. Love your green plate. I know it will hold so many of your goodies. It's amazing how big your plant has gotten. Love and careful attention will do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I'm going to make Apricot/White Chocolate Walnut scones tomorrow morning. Had everything I needed except the white chocolate, and picked that up today. Join me on the balcony tomorrow morn. If you can't make it...we'll do scones at Tahoe. Love and Hugs..

      Delete
    2. Tahoe...here we come....drooling already.

      Delete
  4. Boy, that cheese looks delicious! I'd have a hard time selecting from that shelf!

    Your depression glass plate is beautiful! Lots of that comes through the auctions....always a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love block cheese. I knew there was a name for that kind of green glass but I couldn't remember it. There is also the pink, My friend of years ago said they are rare but there is also lavender. She gave me a small bud vase. Have you seen any lavender?

      Delete
  5. when i was a kid - my mom would make salmon croquettes which I didn't love and creamed corn out of the can which i didn't love. A few years ago I had creamed corn at a restaurant made from scratch (Tanner Jack's in Pismo) and it was delicious. To this day I still haven't had a Salmon croquette since i was a kid. I might like it now - yours looks good. Wow your plant really grew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'a a menu from another time warp. We grew up on it, as my Dad would buy canned salmon from the coast. Cream corn off the cob fresh is the best. Can you believe that plant..it just went crazy. I think the balcony has the perfect amount of sun and shade.

      Delete
  6. Love that platter!
    What a nice sister!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it beautiful....made scones today and they look so nice on such a lovely plate.

      Delete
  7. Love depression glass and your platter is so pretty. I have bought some special green and pink pieces from Betsy's shop.
    Cheese!!! Oh my. I would be swooning in that shop.
    Love how your plants love... YOU. I'm sure that's what keeps them flourishing.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)