Saturday, July 18, 2015

CELEBRATING ELIZABETH



Today we celebrated Elizabeth Novath Beller's life at her Memorial Service.  December 4, 1916 ~June 30, 2015.  Her parents immigrated from Hungary in 1910.  The Honor Guard  preformed their part with taps and presenting the flag to the family.


 While her husband was serving in the South Pacific, Elizabeth felt an obligation to help her husband as well as her country so in 1942 she joined the newly formed Women's Army Auxiliary Corp known as the WAACs where she served for almost a year.


After many years of war, she felt her husband, Charles had done more time than his share and wrote the Army requesting a furlough for her husband, but got no response.


Finally she wrote to the first lady Eleanor Roosevelt.  A month or so later he was home on furlough.  Then a few months later (nine to be exact) she had her first son, Charles Beller Jr.  After the war they were stationed in the San Francisco Bay area where she had her second son, Henry.  (true story  ~ that's my Elizabeth)


In the 60's, 70's and 80's she applied her artistic talents into crafting beautiful hand painted ceramic dolls with noble faces and elegant flowing gowns.  She also took piano and organ lessons and could sight read and play songs she liked.  She helped and encouraged her son Henry to play too, which he does to this day.


Charles on the left and Henry on the right have welcomed me and Don into their family.  They said their mom talked about me all the time, and  they knew how much I meant to her and how much she meant to me.  I'm older than both of them, so today I told them I now have two little (haha ~both over 6') brothers.  Nothing takes the place of your own mother or brother, but I've been adopted into the Beller family and I couldn't be happier.

The above comments were taken from her Eulogy that Charles wrote.  Your prayers were answered as the service was beautiful, and Pastor Don's message was so comforting to all of us.

My dearest always says..."You write your own funeral by the way you lived."    Elizabeth wrote a good one.

22 comments:

  1. How very nice...and I especially like seeing that photo of her two sons with you! Priceless! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy. It was a beautiful day...every part of it. We all went out to lunch, and that's where you really get to know the family. Charles is married and has a grown daughter, Henry a life long bachelor.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful woman and a caring one not to mention accomplished. I know that you will miss her. Her sons becoming your "brothers" is a special part of this story. She would be very pleased. Perhaps she is if she can see the good things. I know heaven allows no sorrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I knew her quite well, but until someone dies, and you read their Eulogy, there are so many new things to know. I will miss her, but feel so accepted by her family.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting life she lived. You and Elizabeth were certainly blessed to know one another and she would be so pleased that you had this time with her sons today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for the loss of your dear friend Wanda. What a remarkable life she had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing a life of 98 years has seen and done and experienced. She will be missed.

      Delete
  5. Fascinating life and how lovely that you were able to share her later years. And then you shared her with us! The circle continues with her sons. Wonderful.
    And if I may be so bold... you look much younger than her sons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but you know men just don't have the advantage of knowing how to apply make up... I'm an artist you know...I can shave off a few years. HaHaHa

      Delete
  6. I am blessed by your Elizabeth story. From the Bird Lady down the street to cherished friend and honorary mother. What beautiful stories God writes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, you had the opportunity to meet her personally so you may have a few more insights of her. God does write the best stories. I love you.

      Delete
  7. You certainly were a good friend. Lots of nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories are treasures, and now I can get to know her sons.

      Delete
  8. How lovely! I love the comment about writing your own funeral with your life. What a woman she was. Love the pic of you with her son and that they adopted you. Sweet. What a blessing you are!
    Elizabeth wasn't shy about taking care of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nonnie...no she wasn't a shy woman. She had true grit. I look forward to getting to know her sons and hear more stories of her life.

      Delete
  9. That's a wonderful quote about writing your own funeral.
    What an incredible lady she must have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful the Lord put her into my life. She was like a mother and a treasure to me.

      Delete
  10. Not many people still around that can give a first hand account of the war and growing up in the early part of the 20th century. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the delight of visiting with her over the pst years I knew her. Like a living History book.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)