Tuesday, December 9, 2014

CHRISTMAS FRUITCAKE


Most folks I know don't like traditional fruitcake (filled with citrus fruits and nuts).  I'm in that group.  

What I do love is this recipe which is just pecans, dates, golden raisins, candied pineapple, and red and green cherries.  It's all fruit and little batter.  You can make it in loaves, but I like to use my bunt pan. 

CHRISTMAS FRUITCAKE

3 cups coarsely chopped nuts (pecan, walnut, etc.)
1 cup coarsely chopped pitted dates
2 cup candied fruit
(pineapple, cherries, raisins)
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl, combine nuts, dates and fruit.  
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.  Add to nut mixture until all nuts and fruit are well coated.
In a small bowl, beat eggs until foamy; stir in vanilla.  
Fold into nut mixture and mix well.  Pour into a greased or parchment paper lined 9x5 loaf pan.
(I used a bunt pan)
Bake at 300 degrees for 1 -3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cool 10 minutes.  While it's cooling make a pot of coffee and then ENJOY.

18 comments:

  1. I haven't considered eating fruitcake. My great grandma always made one, but as a child, it wasn't appealing. Yours looks very good. For 18 years at the law firm where I worked, I was in charge of Christmas gifts for clients. We always sent fruitcake to most all of them from Collin Street Bakery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of Collin Street Bakery fruitcake. Also Pudding Hill, I think in TX makes a good one. I haven't made one in several years. Just was in the mood this year.

      Delete
  2. My Mom used to make this recipe, too. I never liked traditional fruitcake but this one was good. I hadn't thought of it in years. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just chucked full of nuts and good fruit..I like it a lot. Haven't made one in years.

      Delete
  3. I am so-so on fruitcake. My Auntie (whose niece is a dear friend of mine so I call her Auntie too!) makes a no-bake one that I just love. Yours looks delicious too. I may be a fan yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard of a no bake one....sounds interesting. I think you would like this one Suza.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful cake for the holidays. Have a wonderful and joy filled Christmas. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine ~ Will soon be gone...will make the next one in small loaves to share.

      Delete
  5. Oooh...that looks good! My mother made fruitcake when I was very young. I always thought it was good! I think fruitcake has gotten a bad rap! ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too Betsy, This one is really tasty. I also like Pudding Hill Fruitcake from TX.

      Delete
  6. I like a good fruitcake. That is why I married... (oops. that's not nice, is it?)
    But really, I do like a good fruitcake.
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa...Yep a good fruitcake is hard to beat, cake or human...teehee.
      You'd like this one, I think.

      Delete
  7. I must admit that I am not much of a fruit cake lover, but yours looks and sounds very tasty. I think I will try it sometime, dear Wanda :) Thank you for sharing! Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you try it and don't care for it. You can always give it away...I'm planning on making another one and make it in smaller loaves.

      Delete
  8. I bet it tastes wonderful. I remember my Grandma making fruitcakes for everyone. I loved the red and green cherries, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great recipe!!! I hope I get to try it this year! Every year at the end of the holiday season, I watch for the fruitcake mix and expecially the candied pineapple and cherries to go on sale. I always buy enough to last me the entire year!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a beautiful cake and would be delicious with hot tea or coffee!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)