Wednesday, May 7, 2014

YREKA

 
 
My brother's memorial service was held in the little town of Yreka, CA about 7 miles from where my brother and his wife live.   A little town full of History from the Gold Rush days.  You can see the evidence of it everywhere.
This statue of the gold miner and his burro is the entrance into the town.
 

This old mine car sits at the entrance of the Best Western Motel where we stayed.  The continental breakfast offered by the motel was more than "continental" as we had a miner's breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage and biscuits and gravy...hot coffee and O.J.   If  you ever stay in Yreka, stay at the Miner's Inn.  Excellent!!
 

 
Everywhere you stop...you find a miner hiding in the bushes!! Actually this is the gas station where we filled up before heading to OR.  I will show you the other side of the bushes below.
 


Seeing these mine cars that rode up and down mines rails so many years ago is fascinating.
 


OK, this is the back side of the bush, and you can see the size of that old miner.  I ask if I could help and he just said, "Step aside, Mam, this is man's work" and kept on working.  Seeing I wasn't needed and  didn't see any gold nuggets in the tray, we left for OR.   HaHa ~ A really fun town to visit.

22 comments:

  1. Im so glad that you found happy moments on your trip, what a great place to visit, imagine all the gold that was found , imagine all the happy miners, I suppose some sad ones as well, lol, its kind of like gambling isn't it, lol, saying good by to your brother would be difficult, take care my friend,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always hard to lose someone you love too soon, but the joy of my heart is I will see him again. Heaven is truly the hope of the Christian.

      Didn't find that block of gold. haha

      Delete
  2. Oh, how fun! As long as you don't meet up with him in the dark.
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was pretty awesome. Had he moved...I would have been on the run. It was fun.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great place, so sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. It's always hard, but I know he's in Heaven.

      Delete
  4. Welcome home! You were greatly missed, Wanda! Sounds like your brother's celebration was a great time with family and friends. How neat that he planned a lot of it and his wife carried out his wishes, too. The town is charming!

    How fun to go see Tristan and family afterward! Wow, I can't believe he is 10 months old already! What a little chunk! He looks like a football player! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Betsy. As busy as I was, I did miss you all. And not having a computer...couldn't even peek in at what was going on.
      Don has nicknamed Tristan his "Little Big Man".

      Delete
  5. Hi dear Wanda! I have missed you, sweet lady :)

    It sounds like your brother's memorial service went well and I am thankful your travels were good. Thinking of you! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie...nice to be home. It was a good trip. Packed a lot into that 10 days. Hugs back to you.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry for your loss. Yreka is a cute town and a beautiful setting . xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. A real Tourist Treasure...lots of things to take pictures of. I still have a few more to share.

      Delete
  7. I love that sculpture of the prospector and his donkey (or mule!). I don't know much about the US's history of the gold rush. Think I should take time ti 'dig' into the history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are sculptures and statues all over the town. I have a few more to share later.

      Delete
  8. I would be going all touristy there, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, your camera would have been very busy. So many things caught my eye... more pictures later.

      Delete
  9. They certainly want you to know what their town is all about don't they! Shame that you didn't find any nuggets of gold, perhaps another time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No nuggets....actually I was greedy and looking for a gold brick. Yes, there is no mistaking it's Gold Rush History.

      Delete
  10. It's been years since we were up in that neck of the woods.
    Your stories make me want to go that direction again.
    Love Gold Rush history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a drive, but if your heading to OR it's a really cool place to visit. I have more pictures to share later.

      Delete
  11. Looks like you had a good adventure 'along the way'
    Never easy to lose a ,loved one though.
    Sorry for your loss, Wanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Margie. You can only have so much sorrow, and then it's time to celebrate his life and know he's in heaven.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)