Monday, March 31, 2014

LIVING YOUR DREAM ~ Doris Eaton


Loving to paint people, I was fascinated with a story and picture I saw in a National Geographic magazine several years ago.  Doris Eaton, the last living Ziegfeld Follies dancer was featured.  The bottom right picture was taken when she was 106 shortly before her death.  The other two pictures are of the "younger" Doris.  You can read her story by clicking on her name.

Watercolor by Wanda
 

A photo in the magazine caught my eye, as it was the older Doris in front of a poster of the her younger days. (see top picture ) Since the poster was black and white, the only color in the photo was Doris.  I loved the white hair, her perfect make up and fur coat.  So this is my tribute to a lady who loved her craft, spent her whole life on the stage and gave me a great subject to paint.  I believe they said in this photo she was 100 years old.

She may not have lived the lifestyle I would choose, but she pursued a dream and was able to live it out.  How many of us truly live out our dreams.  As a teenager when I felt the call in to the ministry, I thought I'd be a school teacher on a Mission Station in a foreign country.  God had a different plan.  When I attending Biola College, and met my dearest it was clear to me I was to be the partner with this handsome young preacher, and having a lifetime of ministry by his side is a dream come true.

15 comments:

  1. This painting is brilliant; I wonder if you could find a relative of hers who might like a copy. That would be a family treasure. You could google to find possible family and show them your tribute painting.
    A lifetime of ministry by your hubby's side sounds like it is just right for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the family has the picture I used from National Geo. But how sweet of you to think of the family might like my tribute.
      Ministry has suited us very well.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful art, Wanda; you certainly are talented. You and your husband are such an inspiration. Wishing you both a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mildred. She made a great subject to paint. I've let my painting stay on the back burner...I really need some new inspiration!!! Better start looking through some Nat. Geo. Mags. HaHa.

      Delete
  3. Wow- What an amazing talent you have, Wanda. I had no idea because I am so new to your blog. My husband's Aunt was part of the Ziegfield Follies for her whole career. She had an amazing life and left when she married her hubby, Ed. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting about your Aunt. I thought I had lost my reply, and then realized I had sent it to you by email.

      Delete
  4. How fascinating! Love your att work! It makes sense to me that you love painting people ~that suits a person who has devoted their life in a ministry TO people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to get a compliment from an Artist like yourself. Would love to be at one of your Paint Parties.
      Funny where I get my inspiration. Usually it's
      from a picture in a magazine, or calendar, etc. I've tried to paint family members...Hilarious...the don't look a thing like them. So I stick to using photos of people I don't know...Then if I come close..I'm happy. HaHa

      Delete
  5. Great story and painting you did of Doris and also enjoyed your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty. I really enjoyed the full story on Doris.

      We all have our own story don't we?

      Delete
  6. I had to check out the link and read about Doris' life. She certainly was a beautiful young woman.
    Funny how God has a plan often quite different from our own. I love how His plans so often become our dreams. Thank you for sharing your story (and Doris').
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an interesting era ~ Before seeing the article in National Geographic I had only heard the word Ziegfeld Follies. It was fun to read the whole story.

      Delete
  7. an amazing lady and oh what a beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Needed spell check in that comment I deleted. HaHa.

      What I was trying to say.... I loved reading her story, and reliving it with a little watercolor.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)