Wednesday, March 26, 2014

GOLF BALLS WITH A STORY


While my dearest was in the garage looking for my bin of summer clothes, he came across a "Memory" I had completely forgotten.

Our ministry in 1975 took us to Bell Gardens, CA and a little Baptist Church.  Back in those days you had "deacons" that worked with the Pastor making decisions for the church.

Don had a terrific deacon board with a very funny sense of humor.  They gave Don a egg crate with the six golf balls with a deacon painted on each one including their name and a "quote" that would get a laugh. 


They told my dearest, when he got upset with one of them, he could just take them out on the golf course and hit them as hard as he could.  HaHa.

You would really have to know these wonderful men to get the joke of each of the sayings.  Tom ~ the analytical one always had his calculator handy.  Bob ~ Was always ready with a "motion" and Monty ~ always ready with a "second".  Ralph ~ was ready to go home before the meeting started.  Ray ~ bless his heart, never wanted to spend money fixing things...he'd do it!!  And last but not least John ~ Always thought the churches biggest need was a Gym.  BTW John was the artist that painted the golf balls.


Several of these men have gone on to play a round or two in Heaven, but the memories of our time in Bell Gardens are precious in many ways.  It was a real learning time in our ministry and I do believe we wouldn't have stayed at the church in Hughson 27 years without the lessons we learned in that little Baptist Church and those good people.

Hope you enjoyed a little "Ministry Story" from our past.


25 comments:

  1. What a cute gift! So well thought out and perfect! haha.. We still have deacons in our church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, the one who wanted a gym was also an artist, and he did the painting on the golf balls, and the likeness is really amazing. He's one of the ones on the Heavenly golf course.

      Glad your church still has deacons. I think they should.

      Delete
  2. There definitely needs to be a Board of some sort to help make decisions and move the church forward.
    Love the gift and the sense of humor. Some of the best "lessons" learned are tempered with a sense of humor.
    Loving our little bit of rain today. Seems there has been a good amount of snow at Tahoe. Hope it sticks and will boost the water table a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue...I like churches that have deacon or elder boards.. Keeps the checks and balances.
      We have overcast today, hoping for rain.
      Would love to be in the cabin in Tahoe with you, a little snow outside, and some soup in the crock pot.

      Love and Hugs dear friend.

      Delete
  3. We have elders and deacons. Equivalent to deacons and trustees in the Baptist church I grew up in. My husband is an Elder on the Elder Board. Every pastor needs a board to help him along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So right Kathy. The deacons in all the churches we have served have been an encouragement and blessing, and take a load off the preacher.

      Delete
  4. We still have deacons too.
    When my brother was little my dad was one of the deacons in the church they went to. He was gone to a meeting one night when my brother, then a little guy, said, "When I get big, I''m goin' to the dickens too."
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that story...I hope everyone reads the comments and gets a chuckle out of that one.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely way to remember the men! I can't imagine that your husband could ever have bought himself to actually hit one of the across a golf course though! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never did, Amy....they stayed in the egg crate on his desk...The entire church enjoyed seeing them on his desk.

      Delete
  6. This is hilarious! Sounds like great fun deacons. I'm sorry to say right now I'd stay on the golf course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are funny and truthful dear Bonnie. HaHa There were great men and great friends.

      Delete
  7. That is so funny! These things are STILL being said around a lot of churches these days. I guess some things never change. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see them after so many years. Those were special men to my husband.

      Delete
  8. Wanda-Being new to your blog I didn't realize your hubby was a pastor. So is mine. We don't have a church anymore but he is a chaplain on staff at a local hospital- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...47 years in the Pastorate. Retired 6 years ago and moved to So. CA to be close to kids and grandkids.
      Hospital need good chaplains...More in common... Love it.

      Delete
  9. What a fun gift and I enjoyed the story. Hope you two have a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice gift...There are a million stories in the ministry.....from time to time I'll share a few more.

      Delete
    2. Daddy was a deacon at First Baptist Church of Alpharetta for some 40 years. Before his passing, he was honored as Deacon Emeritus.

      Delete
    3. My Dad was also a deacon in the FBC of Turlock where I was born. He was a deacon as long as I can remember. We have much in common don't we?

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I agree...hilarious. They were a great deacon board, and always with a sense of humor. That goes a long way in church relations.

      Delete
  11. That is a WONDERFUL story ! Oh that ALL deacons would have that great sence of humor !

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's another lovely memory, Wanda. Really enjoyed reading those. Sigh. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great gift! This has inspired me to go out and look for something similar. My friends all love to play golf so my wife is hosting a little party for us soon and so these would do really nicely. We have been playing golf together for several years now and its just great to have such special friends.

    Jarrett @ The QATSPY Golf Approach

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)