Saturday, February 15, 2014

PICNICS ~ SURPRISES ~ THRIFT STORES


We had a very busy and fun Valentine's Day.  I had this thought in the back of my mind yesterday.  A Valentine Picnic.  So when I got up and the day was to be full of warmth and sunshine I decided to make it a reality.  Packed little sandwiches of cucumber and creamy Swiss cheese, ham and avocado some fresh strawberries a few chips and some ginger ale.


The setting was our local Desconso Gardens.  Found an empty table near the pond in the courtyard for our Valentine Picnic Lunch.


There are a few trees beginning to bloom and a nice gentleman took this so we could have one together.


If the day couldn't get any better ~ it did!  I was reading a dear friend Martha's blog post about her "sneaky random act of kindness."  Just then the mail lady called my name, and told me I had a package.  When I saw the return address was NY and Martha...I'm sure my jaw dropped to  my knees.  Is that a coincident.  NO I think that was a God Blessing.   A darling pottery mug, some delicious cookies and the recipe.  The card was adorable too!!  What can I say... I am so blessed.  Thank you Martha.


Before we went on our Picnic, we made a quick trip to the Thrift Store.  I grew up with Aunt Jamima syrup and Pancake mix.  I just loved the picture on the bottle with her red bandanna, so when I saw this wooden spoon, I knew it had a home with my other kitchen utensils.


Decided to make a run through the rack of tops as I need a new black and brown one.  Don't often find anything this nice.  Both are Joseph A.  The black one is sleeveless with jewels around the neck.  The brown one is longer and ribbed with short cap sleeves.  Both fit great, and look brand new.

Now tell me ~ can a day get any better than that?

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely Valentine's Day! The gardens were a gorgeous place to have a delightful picnic. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I love the wooden spoon and the memories of childhood. How grand to find the very color of sweater tops that you were looking for. They are both very nice. Wishing you a lovely day today, Wanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gardens is a great place to walk, and to picnic. I just adored that spoon. And I'm wearing the black top today. It's comfortable too, as its really warm today, and sleeveless was good.

      Delete
  2. I'm not suppose to envy but ....
    Fantastic tops and that spoon is just delightful. I would have bought it too.
    I'm glad you had such a good day.
    Martha's RAK was so thoughtful. Surprises like that just make one's day.
    P.S. The ribs were delicious and wished you could have been here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get down here...we'll go junking at my store. I'm drinking out of my new mug right now.

      The ribs sound delicious. Love sitting at your table. You are such a good Hostess.

      Delete
  3. You had a super duper day! The picnic lunch almost gave me spring fever! ha.

    Love the tops...both are beautiful! Don't you just love finding gems like that? So much more fun that going to the mall and paying full price.

    I have the mate to your mug! :) And yes, that was SO very fun, touching and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, it was like spring ~ close to summer. Beautiful day. I'm very excited about the tops and I'm wearing the black one today. I reminded my dearest how much I saved him by not going to Macy's. HaHa.
      It's so cool that we all have our matching mugs.. Cheers!! I lift my cup to friendship.

      Delete
  4. We all have matching mugs now and can have coffee together. :)
    Love that you had such a wonderful day with your Valentine.
    The spoon is adorable. Way back when, my mom had a "mamie" for a toaster cover. Not sure it would be considered politically correct today but I thought it was beautiful. Wonder where it went to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little hesitant to post the picture...but it was just to cute not too..I'm not much in to political correctness....Cute is Cute!!

      Delete
    2. I love that we all have matching mugs. I'm drinking out of mine right now as I wait for my Kitchen Sink cookies to come out of the oven.

      Delete
  5. NOPE!!! It doesn't get any better than THAT!!! Love it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it looks like we both had great days! Loved your post and especially those window dressings.

      Delete
  6. What a great picnic...I would love to see your menu!

    You have the best luck at thrift shops!! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I love to do is pack a what I call a gourmet picnic. Little tea type sandwiches, fruit, we also had a strawberry cupcake and ginger ale in glass...a couple of cloth napkins for table cloth, and walla...a romantic picnic.
      We have a great thrift shop and the key is being retired and going often..we know when new items come in. Like the tops I got. They weren't there the day before.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely way to spend time with your Valentine! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful day! I've enjoyed seeing photos of you and the things you like to blog about! We have a lot in common! Enjoy your week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)