Monday, February 17, 2014

LOOKING BACK



This picture in my family album is interesting me me as an adult.  I was a smiling little girl, getting to take my shoes off and holding my baby doll.  You can see my mother's sweet smile as she has her arm over my dad's shoulder.  I think my dad must of been dead tire in this picture and mother knew it.  But he was still willing to take us on this day trip.  He was such a hard working man, and so funny....but when you look at photos of him he always had a serious look.  He was a storyteller bar none.  Either had me on the edge of my seat with a tall tale, or laughing till my sides hurt with something funny or "Silly:  This post today is about "Silly".

When I was just about this age, he taught me this silly little ditty.

"One Zip, Two Zip
Little Ziggy Zan.
Bob tailed Dominecker
Tee, Toe, Tan."

All those years of reciting that little poem, It wasn't until I was an adult that I found out a Dominecker was a breed of chicken.  So when I found this picture today at the Thrift Store I had to have it.
  

It had a dark green matting, and wood frame but I couldn't get a good picture of it and wanted you to be able to read the message with my new "Bob Tailed Dominecker"!!  So true isn't it?

Do you remember any of the silly little poems you learned as a child?

12 comments:

  1. You still have this same beautiful smile, Wanda. What a special photo of you and your parents. So glad you found this today to bring to mind precious memories.
    I remember the little ditty/hand motions to Here's the church, here's the steeple, open the door and here's the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, how many times did we do the church and steeple, and teach it to the kids and grandkids.

      Delete
  2. I have so many of my mama's sayings and songs written down. I will sing them to my grand babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We so need to pass these on to our future generations. When I visited Tristan when he was 5 months, I was already telling him ...One Zip, Two Zip....

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful memory! I remember my Granddad telling us to 'Play Pretty!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precious memories... "Play Pretty" good advice.

      Delete
  4. Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear,
    Fuzzy wuzzy had no hair,
    So Fuzzy wuzzy,
    Wasn't Fuzzy wuz he

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely find to remind you of this great memory Wanda. I don't think that I can remember any rhymes like this from my childhood, but how about this one as a new one for you to learn

    To begin to toboggan, first buy a toboggan
    Don't buy too big a toboggan
    Too big a toboggan is not a toboggan
    To buy to begin to toboggan!

    Try saying it really fast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Amy, I love this...This one I'll show my great grandsons...they might have fun trying to do it.

      Delete
  6. Such a sweet post and beautiful picture :) At the moment I can't remember any sill poems....maybe later one will come to me. Happy Tuesday, Wanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa, Stephanie...some of you are too young to remember the silly poems and stories of my generation. I've a more...but getting the picture made this one special.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)