Sunday, January 5, 2014

WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS


We enjoy enchiladas with white sauce and this is a very simple and tasty recipe.  I'm going to include the recipe if you care to try it.  It makes enough for us to have a couple meals out of it.


To complete the dinner, I added some re-fried beans and avocado slices.

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
10 soft taco shells
2 Cups cooked, shredded chicken ( I used canned chicken breast from Costco)
2 Cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I used Mex. blend)
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
2 Cups chicken broth
1 Cup sour cream
1 (4 oz) can diced green chillies

WHAT YOU'LL DO
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 13x9 pan
2.  Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese.  Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
3.  In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute.  Add broth and whisk until smooth.  Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
4.  Stir in sour cream and chillies.  Do not bring to a boil; you don't want curdled sour cream.
5.  Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
6.  Bake 22 minutes and then under high broil for 3 minutes to brown the cheese.

*I added some chopped cilantro for garnish.

19 comments:

  1. I've never made enchiladas, they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm partial to white sauce. Although most recipes I have use red enchilada sauce. You would like them I think!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I am definitely trying this! I used to get a crab meat enchilada at a Mexican restaurant that had a fabulous white sauce. I'm sure this is very much the same. Definitely trying this! Thank you!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think I will try crab meat next time. That sounds so good. "Seafood Enchilada" Like the sound of that.

      Delete
  3. We will love this, Wanda. Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want so show a great picture of a plate of food, and not share the recipe...HaHa.

      Delete
  4. This sounds so good but my husband and I are highly allergic to dairy products. :( But thanks for the recipe. I know a couple of people who would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have a set of your own recipes, I would think. I have a friend who has to be gluten free, so she had her own set of recipes.

      Delete
  5. Those look great. I love chicken enchiladas, maybe minus the sour cream I may have to pass this one on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Jim, you can't taste the sour cream, and I wouldn't know by tasting it there was sour cream in recipe. I'm sure you could leave it out w/o messing up the recipe.

      Delete
    2. I copied it to a document and emailed it to a friend with a hint to invite me over.

      Delete
  6. This sounds just delish!
    I will have to make this one really soon.
    I'm always looking for simple recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is easy ~ especially if you use the canned chicken ~ no cooking or chopping of the chicken.

      Delete
  7. This looks very tempting and you've captured it very well too! Is this similar to burritos?

    Happy 2014 to you, Ms Wanda and may all your dreams and wishes be realized this year. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Happy New Year to your too.

      Delete
  8. yum...I think I could eat that for breakfast right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been known to do that...leftovers for breakfast. HaHa

      Delete
  9. Looks delish,Wanda...
    Unfortunately my boyfriend has cholesterol issues...
    Sooooo...
    Cheese is not in our diet!
    Have a great week....
    Cheers!
    Linda:o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many things that taste so good, are not so good for us. We don't do a lot of cheese, but I have some recipes we like that do have some cheese.

      Your healthy eating shows in the pictures of you and your boyfriend.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)