Tuesday, January 14, 2014

LOOKING BACK ~ ~


Sunday's Los Angeles Times ran this article in the Business section, and it took me back to my High School days.  1955 found me working summers cutting apricots in the orchards or in the cannery putting cling peaches on a pitter.  Growing up in the San Joaquin Valley in CA, where at that time, it was the Peach Capital of the World and supplied canned peaches world wide.  Then came the over abundance of peaches and farmers started pulling out the peach trees and planting almonds.

The farmers that made this change became overnight successes it seems.  As this article related that 82% of the global almonds are from California.  800,000 acres of trees that stretch 400 miles up and down the valley.

The 27 years we ministered in Northern CA, many of our congregation were almond farmers.  We became the recipient's of almonds every harvest, and those dear friends still keep me supplied.  It's nice to know my native California roots are the "toast of the world."  HaHa.  My claim to fame!

19 comments:

  1. Love almonds, wish Dave could eat them. Nuts are the bane for him.
    Sun is shinning and there is no rain in sight.
    Love the nice weather but we need rain desperately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love nuts, and glad I can eat them. I probably eat too many, and put them in everything. We do need rain...wind is so gusty today...

      Delete
  2. thats wonderful and what a great photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprise to read the article in the paper.

      Delete
  3. Just wanted you to know that I sent you a private message on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very interesting. Almonds are delicious...I bet you have a lot of ways to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but mostly eat them raw. Always have a candy dish full on the coffee table.

      Delete
  5. I'm pushing 50 years old and I always hated almonds. Never had a reason to not like them, just knew I didnt want to eat them. Then I tried one. They are the BOMB, lol. I love almonds now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, you just gotta try new things. But 50 years...Jim you waited too long.. HaHa.

      Delete
  6. Oh...I love almonds....
    use them in salads...and as a crunchy gluten-free topping for crisps!
    Enjoy your week....♥️
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great in salads and I keep a dish of them on the coffee table for a snack.

      Delete
  7. Well, how fun to find that article in the paper! What a neat photo, too! I love almonds...one of my favorite snacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually skip right over the business section and go for the funnies!! HaHa. But it was on the front page of business and I can't resist almonds.

      Delete
  8. Interesting Wanda. John Steinbecks books, some of my favourites, give a good insight in Californian farming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of my friends are farmers. The story of the irrigations canals in the valley are very interesting too. But that another story.

      Delete
  9. I love farmers... of any kind. (runs deep in our family) And, I do my part in keeping the almond farmers in business! LOL! My favorite snack! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farmers are hard working, down to "earth" good people. I love them too. My Dad loved to farm. And I too love almonds.

      Delete
  10. I love almonds, especially raw.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)