Friday, January 31, 2014

A DOG NAMED "BOOB"


It's been five years since I sketched this dog on a napkin and named him "Boob".  Some of you were with me back in 2009 when I had my breast cancer journey.  Many of you were not.  Monday morning I'm scheduled for an appointment with my oncologist and this will mark my five year survival.  I was fortunate that mine was caught at stage one.  Two lumpectomies, 8 weeks of radiation and now still cancer free after 5 years.

But "Boob" is a funny story and I wanted to celebrate 5 years with him and hope you get a chuckle as we did that day.

This is what I wrote back March 2009 : "A week ago Monday I had my annual Mammogram.  On Tuesday evening I got a call from St. Joseph Breast Center that they needed further pictures and possible a sonogram.  I was scheduled for those pictures on Friday the 13th.  (Good thing I'm not superstitious)  After several hours of pictures, waiting, pictures, waiting, sonogram, waiting for another sonogram we were told there was something suspicious.  So I'm scheduled for a biopsy on March 4th.

After that grueling afternoon, I told Don I wanted to go out to dinner at a nice little Mexican Restaurant we like called Joseito's.  While we were waiting for our dinner, I was sketching on my napkin to explain something the doctor had told me about the pictures.  Just as I had a nice boob drawn, I saw the waiter coming back to the table, so without hesitation it became a dog!  Later when we stopped laughing, I named him 'Boob'."

Sometimes a little laughter can take the tension out of a tense situation.  So I will always be grateful to Boob for doing just that.

It would be interesting to know how many of you are cancer survivors.
  

23 comments:

  1. I remember... I am so happy for you that you are cancer free! I still pray for you now and then and thank God for your healing.
    Happy Birthday, Boob!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you G. I remember you were there for me and I so appreciate your special friendship.

      Delete
  2. I remember that story...made me smile then as it does now.
    God is good and so grateful for the cancer free years you have had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue you were with me during that journey too. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I did not know you then and I appreciate you sharing this. God is so good! I'm thankful that your cancer was detected early and that you responded well to treatment. I pray that you get an all clear report next week.
    My older brother, Larry, is a cancer survivor. He had head/neck cancer that was inoperable. At 7 years out, he remains cancer free after treatment. During these 7 years, he has seen his daughter graduate from law school, and his son has been married and now has Larry's very first granddaughter! Thank God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful story...thanks so much for sharing Larry's story. To see his daughter graduate, and his son married, and now a grandchild. Wow...God is good.

      Delete
  4. I remember this...hilarious! Yay for 5 years! Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were there...thanks for all the support you have given me then and now.

      Delete
  5. I wasn't with you then, but your story is the same as mine. Stage 1, 2 lumpectomies, radiation. I am 9 years out and I praise God with you for your positive outcome and the 5 year milestone. A memorable time. I love the story of Boob. That just made me laugh. So clever you are. God bless you, beautiful lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we did travel the same path. I'm so happy you are 9 years out...I'm so happy both of us found it out early. I had mammograms since I was 40, and wasn't till 68 that something showed up. I do have a big family history of cancer.

      Delete
  6. I remember Boobie Dog too. :)
    So glad for your five years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were one of those who journeyed with me. Thanks again for your love and support.

      Delete
  7. I didn't know you then, either, but I am a cancer survivor as well. Thyroid cancer - usually a slow growing variety but I had THREE strands of FAST growing cancers! It was totally a God thing that I went for a regular check up (postponed due to a beach trip. Had I gone been there on my original appointment - the cancer would not have been discovered) and with 12 days I had two surgeries - the last one an emergency one when they discovered the aggressive cancers after biopsy of the nodule. God IS good and GOD has a plan. Amber was just 3 years old and my son Ben just 13 months......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda, I knew there would be stories I wanted to hear. Thanks so much for sharing yours. God does have a plan. So glad His plan was to give us a longer life, and now to connect as friends.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing. I love to hear how God has carried people through their journey of pain. So thankful that you are cancer-free. That 5 year mark is a BIG one.
    This is a halarious story! Cute. I can see the boob though:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa.....No you can't....HaHaHa. Love that dog.
      Love your comment.

      Delete
  9. I'm also a breast cancer survivor. I had been married 6 months when it was discovered. I was in stage 1 but almost to stage 2. I had a lumpectomy, radiation and a year of herceptin infusions. I have now celebrated my 7th wedding anniversary and am coming up on 7 years cancer free. Congratulations on making it to 5 years!

    I loved your story of Boob the dog. So glad you kept him and didn't throw out the napkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my how scary as a newly wed. So glad you caught it early enough for treatment. Congrats on your 7th wedding anniversary.
      That's a pretty special napkin.

      Delete
  10. I wasn't with you at the time you originally wrote about "Boob", humour is the best medicine. Glad you're at the 5 year mark. I just had my annual (and oh do I hate to do it) and it was normal, thank God!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those annual checkups are so important. I started my at age 40, and had one every year as wasn't diagnosed until I was 68. That's a lot of "pressing and squeezing" but worth it. Keep of the good work.

      Delete
  11. Didn't know you then,Wanda....
    But happily,got to know you....
    Because....
    You are a survivor ♥️
    Thank goodness.....
    Cheers!
    Linda:o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda...so glad we are friends now.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)