Monday, December 23, 2013

KITCHEN'S CLOSED. . . .


After finishing the English Toffee and Candied Nuts, I officially closed my kitchen until Christmas morning!  Everything is crossed off my list. 
 
I decided to put the "sweetest" thing in my life right now in the middle of all my Sweets!  Tristan is 6 months, and looks so much like his mommy and our oldest daughter.  It's like looking at baby Jill.

 
Our family has been enjoying my Mother's English Toffee for as long as I can remember.  After her passing in 1991 I took the torch and have been making it every year.  You can tell from the recipe it's been around a long time.

 
The sun was shinning so it's was the perfect day to make the toffee.  I made it one year when it was raining...and it would not set up.  But today it turned out perfect.

The recipe makes enough for each family to have a small can, and the rest we will enjoy Christmas Day.

 
 
 
I also made another batch of candied walnuts, and use some of the Vanilla Sugar my friend gave me.  The touch of vanilla was a good idea.  They are in little jars to give to each family Christmas Day.  I made some little Christmas labels to make them a little more festive.

I will open the Kitchen Christmas morning to make my Stuffing.  (My daughter is doing the Turkey) and the pumpkin pie for Kaleb (home from college) and the 4 layer Chocolate Torte with chocolate mousse filling and whipped cream frosting.

Now for that coffee and dive into my new John Grisham book, The Street Lawyer.  My kitchen doesn't get closed down very often, but I'm ready for my comfy rocker.

14 comments:

  1. looks so good, I think mines closed too, till the turkey goes in Christmas morning!That baby is the sweetest for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you get to do the turkey! I've done it for so many years, but the girls are giving me a break this year...but they still love my stuffing so that's my Christmas morning.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping the sun shines tomorrow. I want to make some toffee too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad when it cooled and had set up perfectly. I had to sample a few pieces that broke off the edges. Yummy.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that baby is so cute!!!

    I'm glad your toffee turned out and you didn't have to stir it into a coffee cake! ha.

    I have your recipe for toffee...I really need to make it some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he the cutest. Melts my heart every time I look at his picture.
      Oh what a memory you have...yes my toffee coffee cake...and it was good.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Dave...and a Merry Christmas to you too so far across the world. Happy trails.

      Delete
  5. Your candy looks delicious. This has been a hard cooking season for me, I have to lose some weight, so though I've been baking up a storm I can only eat a little. But that's ok, I'll lose the weight and still enjoy myself.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family. it finally cooled off here and I'm feeling very Christmasy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing weight and baking are not friends, I know too well. I've put on a few unwanted pounds since Thanksgiving.
      My goal after Christmas is to get back to my routine of the YMCA and LESS baking and back to portion control. Wishing you success in your weight loss too. Merry Christmas

      Delete
  6. Oh Wanda, Tristan is adorable. I know your heart melts when you look at those pictures. 6 months already, where did the time go?
    You certainly are Baker of the Year in my book.
    Enjoy your closed kitchen and your book.
    Merry Christmas and all the wonder of tomorrow.
    Love you dear friend (Don, too)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he the cutest little guy. I just stare at his pictures, and want to hold him.

      Today I determined to just go out and wish people Merry Christmas. It was wonderful and I got so many Merry Christmas back to me. Tonight we go to Julie's for Christmas Eve, and she doesn't want me to bring anything...so how easy is that.
      I did pick up some bottles of Sparkling Cider, but that doesn't count, does it? HaHa.

      Delete
  7. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Patty. Love and hugs to you, Abe and all your extended family.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)