Friday, December 13, 2013

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN.

 
Last night I had a dream so real it startled me.  It was about a dear blogger friend who called herself "Crusty Crone" and her blog was called "The Crones Corner".  She posted every day and we were involved in all kinds of art projects.  At that time I hosted a blog call Wanda's Art Challenge".  I would post a picture, and then all us that were participating would give our rendition of it and post it.  This was back in 2009.  Then one day Crusty stopped posting.  She didn't answer emails.  A friend that personally knew her called her daughter, and found out she had died in her apartment of an apparent heart attack.  The crazy thing is ~ her blog is still there...evidently her daughter wasn't into computers, and it was never deleted...so it just hangs there in cyberspace. 

I was shocked and truly missed her.  But life moves on, and other things take up space, so when I dreamed about her last night my favorite sketch from her was in my dream.  Back in 2009 I ask her if I could add watercolor to her pencil sketch and she was delighted.  It's a nameless lady, with her funny hat, her interesting expression and her dog!  I fell in love with this old gal, and think somewhere out there she is a real person. 

Crusty, you are gone....but never forgotten!  You were a delight and made my blogging time with you so very special.  Have you lost a blogger friend?

10 comments:

  1. I've thought about that in regard to Facebook. I don't think my husband would know how to notify my friends and my FB photo would hang out in Cyberspace forever. I haven't lost a blogger friend, but a few of my high school classmates who have passed still have a page. It's eerie to see how many people are wishing them a happy birthday still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad for you to lose Crusty; cute sketch though. I miss Anne of Milagro blog a lot, great artist, visionary, fun loving and more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's happened to me with a few blog friends! Her daughter probably didn't have her mom's password so there's nothing she can do to take it down. I lost a friend Kary and still bake some of her bread and cookie recipes. But I knew she had cancer so when I stopped getting emails I pretty much knew what happened and then later confirmed it. We do get attached to our cyber friends, don't we...and miss them when they are gone!

    Love the sketch with your water color! Makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never lost a blogger friend that I know of, but I have lost touch with my very first follower. She used to write me emails as well as comment on my blog. We were going to meet up but that never happened. A few years ago I sent her a Christmas card and it was returned. She shut down her blog and her email is changed (or deleted). I wish I knew what happened to her.

    The sketch is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was an American pastor whose blog I used to follow in my early days of blogging. He died. His widow did let his followers know (on the blog) what happened. I know she let the blog remain up at the time (on request from readers). I forget the name now, so not sure if it's still there.
    Anyway here in Sweden I heard or read something recently about some funeral services nowadays offering to take care of closing web-accounts as well; if one wants that done after one's death, one can put it into a "living will" for them to do it (if one has no one better to entrust it to).

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple of people I've followed have died, it's always so sad. One lady documented her journey and in ways that made it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids and husband all know my password so they could take my blog down or leave a notification if something were to happen to me.

    I had one friend who disappeared and I left her a note of encouragement several years later. I was shocked to get an email saying how timely my note had been. She was an early blogger friend and just wasn't blogging anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently had a similar experience Wanda. My cyber-friend Crownring of the Mercies and Musings blog had not posted in a long time - also had not commented on my blog. I knew her name and found out that she passed away in late May in her mid-fifties. I mourned and mourn for her in the way that you did for Crusty. Amazing how we can get close to people that we have never met face-to-face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never lost anyone that I interacted with personally, but have read about some that have passed away. I always feel so bad for them after hearing of their death too. I guess we're all connected through blogging in one way or another. The color you gave that sketch looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how so much do I ever remember Crusty Crone as well! I still have some of her art pictures that I asked if I could copy and she was kind enough to let me do so. I remember when I heard of her death from someone who had posted it their blog, don't remember who it was that had posted about her I was in shock and disbelief and then sadness followed afterwards like it did with so many of our shared blogger friends back then.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)