Monday, November 18, 2013

ABC WEDNESDAY ~ LETTER "S"

LETTER "S" IS FOR SWEET AND SALTY!


This Thanksgiving we're going to my son's home.  I'm going to be in charge of the Dessert Table.  Besides the traditional pumpkin, apple and pecan pies, I wanted to try some new recipes for cookies and cakes.  I got the new issue of Traditional Home and found a recipe for a "Sweet and Salty" chocolate chip cookie and tried it this afternoon.  Yep, they will definitely be on the menu. 

They are called "Kitchen Sink Cookies" which include chocolate chips, kettle potato chips and broken pretzel pieces.  You can find the recipe here.  It makes a lot of cookies.  I got 70 from this batch.

I have been very frustrated that my local grocery store has not had pumpernickel bread for the past two weeks, due to a "bad batch" from the factory, so they say. Today I looked up a recipe for pumpernickel bread and will give it a try tomorrow.  It calls for molasses and unsweetened cocoa.  Didn't know that's what gives it that rich dark color with a touch of sweetness. 

Since I bought a box of Hershey unsweetened cocoa, I have a recipe from years ago when we lived by the Hershey Chocolate Plant in Oakdale, CA for a 4 layer chocolate torte with chocolate mousse filling, whipped cream frosting.  That might find it's way on the dessert table too.

I posted this yesterday, and then realized  Sweet and Salty are really good S words.  Come on over and I'll put on the coffee pot!   To see all the other participants of this fun meme that Mrs. Nesbitt created and Roger manages, just click on the ABC Badge on my side bar.

23 comments:

  1. I've gained five pounds just reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well since I was closer to them, I think I've gained 10, plus I had to try some of the dough, and one cookie...so far! I've always been a fan of "sweet and salty" things.

      Delete
  2. oh my, the cookies look amazing and the description of that cake makes me swoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I remember how good the cake was. It was a two layer cut into layers. So it was more mousse than cake, and lots of whipped cream..Oh my I'm feeling fat!!!

      Delete
  3. The Mr. would love those cookies...he's always loved sweet and salty together! It all sounds yummy! What a nice variety on your dessert table, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dearest and I just had a cup of tea and one of the "cookies"....A new favorite.

      Delete
  4. I so wish that I could put you in charge of our dessert table. ツ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have recipes, will travel!! Don't know that you could afford me...HaHa.. We could call it the traveling Dessert Table...

      Delete
  5. That is definitely a sweet and salty recipe. I've been wanting to bake something all day but never did. Just couldn't decide what to make. :) Have a great day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to put away the sugar, and cook some veggies....maybe tomorrow. HaHa

      Delete
  6. The cookies sound fantastic, chocolate and salty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an unusual combination! they sound delicious, though!

    S is for...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be right over! lol Those cookies sound delicious! I might just give them a try.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bet my grandkids would love these cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Thanksgiving with your family is really over the top.
    You had me drooling over every thing. The sweet and salty sound delicious and like Martha, I think I gained 5 lbs. just reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, everything looks and sounds so delicious, - I am baking for a Christmas bake sale and plan to look up those Kitchen Sink cookies to go along with the shortbread and mince tarts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They really sound tempting! Great subjects for 'S'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure I would need to be pulled away from them. 70 for me? What are the others going to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judging from your menu, you must have a very large gathering for Thanksgiving. Have fun! Kate, ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummmmm! I love salty and sweet! And, that four layer chocolate torte sounds wonderful, too! Thank you for sharing that salty and sweet recipe link, Wanda! And, loved y'all's walk in the State Park! =) blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a delicious sweet dessert you will prepare. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's great to know that each person will be responsible for a certain dish. i'm sure all the deserts will be delicious and I wish I could taste some of your goodies too. enjoy the sweet celebration with your loved ones! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)