Friday, October 11, 2013

THE SPAGHETTI STORY

 
The year was 1966.  Pastor Don was a rural evangelist for Dr. Jack MacArthur and Voice of Calvary.  He would travel to rural towns and hold what we called "Hospitality Dinners".  These consisted of pots of spaghetti, salad, garlic bread and dessert then after dinner, Pastor Don would preach.   So from small town to small town Pastor Don held these meetings, and since spaghetti is easy to make and not expensive that was the menu at each church.

To make a long story short...  Me and the kids back in California kept track of Dad's travels, but forgot that he was eating spaghetti at every meeting.    He's coming home tonight and we are all so excited after not seeing him for three weeks, I plan a wonderful dinner of (you guessed it) Spaghetti, salad, garlic bread and dessert.   Table is set ~ Dad walks in the front door, we yell, we hug we kiss and Dad says I'm starved ~ what's for dinner?  I say with the biggest smile on my face "SPAGHETTI" ~~ TO WHICH HE TURNS AND WALKS OUT THE DOOR!!!!

We have laughed over this story so many times and I can't make spaghetti without thinking about it.  Now you know the rest of the story!!

21 comments:

  1. Oh, that is funny! Poor guy. How long was he gone?

    (In the south, it's usually fried chicken for the preachers.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was usually gone at least 3 to 4 weeks at a time. I think the churches did spaghetti because if was inexpensive to make a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor Don...too funny Wanda.
    Good thing I didn't serve spaghetti while you were here...(:0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our life is so full of funny stories, I think I'll start sharing a few from time to time.

      Delete
  4. That sounds like something I would do. I love spaghetti. But, then again, after giving birth several hundred times, I began to realize that pasta and sauce was a very common dinner for folks to bring in our time of need. Guess I do think twice when asked to make a meal... and then I probably still make spaghetti. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's like my famous Chicken Casserole. I have to be careful who I take it too.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Every family has it's volumes of "funny stories". Think I'll share a few more from time to time.

      Delete
  6. Like the story, hope you had something extra good for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty to tell you the truth, I don't remember what I made for dessert that night!

      Delete
  7. I LOVE this story!!! I'm Linda and I am pleased to meet you! Thanks for dropping by! I am now your newest follower and looking forward to getting to know you! I do believe we are Sisters in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda..thanks so much for coming by. Yes, we are sisters in Christ and look forward to our new friendship.

      Delete
  8. LOL! Poor Don!! Oh, such a sweet story, Wanda. Hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanna...He still loves spaghetti, but not day after day...haha. Blessing back to you too, dear.

      Delete
  9. Now that is a funny spaghetti story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've lived so many funny stories, I going to share some more from time to time. Every family has them..we just seem to have a ton.

      Delete
  10. What a great story! I loved reading it : ). I am glad he came back after walking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he did come back, and yes, he did eat spaghetti! He's a good man and a keeper.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)