Sunday, October 6, 2013

My "Okie" Roots

 
On our trip home we spent a night with my cousin Danette and her hubby Mitch.  They have a wonderful garden, and made us a dinner that brought back memories of my growing up and my "Okie  Roots".  Fried okra, black eyed peas on cornbread, fresh tomatoes, add some grilled asparagus and juicy steak and I was in Okie Heaven.  Then when I thought it couldn't get any better, she pulled out a warm peach cobbler with ice cream.   What a feast...What memories of growing up with those flavors. 

As we got ready to leave, they filled my ice chest with frozen okra and beans.  So the fun's not over!!  Cousins are the best!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. There was room at the table...but too many miles between.

      Delete
  3. Wanda, I'm not too sure about the okra but the rest sounds divine.
    Your cousin really put on a feast for you.
    We're missing you and Don already.
    We went to church on Sat. night and just stayed home and took it easy yesterday.
    I posted on FB the magnificent sunset last night.
    We haven't had a good one like that in quite a while.
    I'm watching some tiny little birds, ( I think they are Phoebes) and a hummingbird flitter around in the manzanita tree right outside the dining room window.
    What a great start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, the okra might have surprised you. Fried up nice and crisp. (It's the only way I like it). We are missing you and Dave too. I did see the sunset late last night, but to tired to comment. Will do that today. Everything is unpacked, washed and put away. Have an eye appt. at 1:15. You should have seen the stack of mail I picked up at the PO. Threw half of it away. HaHa. More later, dear girlfriend.

      Delete
  4. oh, my mouth is watering! It's almost dinner time and I'm starving! ha. Wish someone could just hand me that dinner right there! yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, I wouldn't mind a repeat!! Since they sent home some frozen, I will get to have some more. It was really mouth watering!

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)