Wednesday, July 10, 2013

TWO HOUSES ~ BEFORE AND AFTER

 
 I called her the "Bird Lady" because I would see this lady feeding a flock of pigeons at her front gate every day.  I referred to the house as the "Bird House".   Since that time, as many of you know, I befriended the bird lady, and her name is Elizabeth.  She is delightful, and has become one of my dearest friends.  For 5 years we visited over the fence, and I would take her cookies, banana bread and even painted a watercolor of her standing at the fence.  She fell, and could not continue to live alone, so she now resides in what I call "The White House" a very nice Assisted Living Facility, and I visit her weekly, and love to hear the stories of her 96 years of living. And she's determine to teach me to crochet!!

 
 After she moved into Assisted Living, the house she had lived in for 27 years was completely renovated, and remodeled.  You can see they added on a room, and cleared the yard, and put up a new fence.  I saw inside when the Real Estate Company had an Open House.  Over the next couple of months several people looked at the house, and it was sold just before we went to Oregon.

Today, I took a jar of my plum jam and a dishcloth I made and met the new owner to welcome them to the neighborhood.  Turns out I have another elderly lady to visit.  Her name is Diane, and she lives with there with her adult son that takes care of her.  She has other children in the area so has a lot of family around her.  She was delighted with the visit and welcomes me back.  I love being retired and having time to do this.

14 comments:

  1. I really believe you are the Neighborhood Angel, Wanda.
    How delightful to have another person to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, Give God the Glory...He wired me to love the elderly, and have a need to visit and encourage them. I have to laugh when I say elderly....cause I now am one!!! HaHa

      Delete
  2. That house was certainly remodelled, I hope the new owner still feeds the birds. Wanda we'll h ve to enter you for the "Neighbour of the Year " award

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the birds left when Elizabeth left. They were "her" birds, and I have not seen them since. I think that's kind of special too.

      Dave, I've had a love for the elderly since I was a young girl, and my mom would visit people in the rest homes and take me with her.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe it's been 5 years already since YOU met Elizabeth!! I'll say a prayer for her! Yayyyyyy! 4 years cancer FREE!!! Congrats! I'm right behind YOU with my 3!! Let's keep it up!!! xoxoxoo CONGRATS!! on that sweet baby too!! sending love and prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinda, Praise the Lord, that both of us are cancer free. God is so good! So glad you are back posting, and I get to revisit our friendship. HaHa, I still have many of my little treasures you sent me, including my little "Crow".

      Delete
  4. Amazing house transformation Wanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't believe the difference. Especially what they did inside.

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a difference! So glad you get to visit your new neighbor. I visit a little old lady after church on Sundays. She sits at the back of the church waiting for her ride to finish all her visiting, and I sit with her while I wait for my husband to finish all his visiting. She is very elderly, and very bent over, but a wonderful Christian lady. We often get to visit for 20 minutes or more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Chris...There are never enough willing people to visit the elderly. I truly think it's a calling.

      Delete
  6. Hello Ms Wanda,

    You have a great heart for never failing to visit a dear old friend regularly. I hope they are treating her well in that facility. I'm looking forward to the crochet projects you will be posting here soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Farida ~ The facility is very nice. She has a lovely room, large TV, they take excellent care of her, and she had hot meals and snacks. She likes her life there, and her sons visit her regularly.

      Delete
  7. Wanda, I believe you are right about it being a calling. You have the gift of being a friend and neighbor. The changes on the house are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God chooses what he gifts us with, and it's our responsibility to use them to HIS GLORY!

      The House make-over was quite remarkable.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)