Saturday, June 29, 2013

CORN AND OTHER THINGS


When we got home, after being gone almost a month, some corn from the birdseed must have falling behind the spider plant in the big pot and sprouted!  Corn?  Yes it's corn.  Who knows if it will grow and I might get an ear!  I took out the Spider plant and think I'll plant some onions or carrots in the pot with the stalks of corn.  I may be a farmer after all.  HaHa

 
What do you corn growers think.  Does it have a chance? 
 
 
Browsing in a little Thrift Shop in Yreka, I saw this old wooden napkin holder, and as Betsy would say, "It jumped into my cart, so I had to bring it home."  I love that you can pull out one napkin without all the rest wanting to follow.


In our two night stay with my blog friend Sue and her hubby Dave, we enjoyed their harvest of fresh plums, and they sent home a box.  Yesterday after eating some fresh, I got 11 jars of Plum Jelly.  Had some on my toast this morning and was pleased for two reasons.  It set up beautifully, and it tasted marvelous.  When we stayed with Don's cousin in Bakersfield, they gave me a bag of apricots just picked that day.  If I can stop eating them fresh, I'll make a few jars of my favorite Apricot/Pineapple Jam next week.

Looking forward to Church tomorrow.  We miss a lot of Sunday's on this trip.  What's on your schedule for this weekend?

9 comments:

  1. I hope your corn grows, it would probably do best if you transplant it into your garden and out of the pot. I like surprises like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice. I think I'll transplant it to a better spot.

      Delete
  2. Love that the corn wanted to grow in your pot! :)

    That napkin holder is very unique with it's little bar weight! I've never seen one like that..in fact, I probably wouldn't have been able to figure out what it was! :) Very cool!

    love the jelly....yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, I saw one of these napkin holders years ago. I think it was at my Aunts. But I've always wanted one, so was very happy to find it. Nice for picnics too..napkins won't fly away.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of transplanting corn. They have a shallow root system, so make sure you bank up the soil aroung the bottom of the stalks or they'll tip over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the corn advice... I will be sure to fill the pot and support it better. Well, instead of POP corn, I will have POT corn..teehee.

      Delete
  4. wow, that corn looks quite healthy! I like the napkin holder, I haven't saw one like that in a long time, what wonderful jelly, yummo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, lots of good corn advice...guess we'll have to wait and see if it will produce an ear.

      So good to be home...will be catching up with everyone next week.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)