Saturday, May 18, 2013

SUNDAY MEDITATIONS

My friend Juliana gave me Elizabeth Elliot's book "Be Still my Soul" for my birthday.  I started reading it  and was touch with this prayer that Elizabeth found in her Mother's Prayer Journal.  I've been keeping prayer journals for years to keep me focused while I pray, and I will be adding this prayer to my journal to pray for my children and grandchildren.  I posted it today on the Daily  Prayer Blog, but wanted to also share it here on my personal blog.


"Father, our children keep.
We know not what is coming upon the earth.
Beneath the shadow of Thy heavenly wing,
O keep them, keep them, Thou who gavest them birth.

Father, draw nearer to us.
Draw firmer around us Thy protecting arm.
O clasp our children closer to Thy side,
Uninjured in the day of earth's alarm.

Then in Thy chambers hide,
O hide them and preserve them calm and safe.
When sin abounds, and error flows abroad
And Satan tempts and human passions chafe.

O keep them undefiled,
Unspotted from a tempting world of sin,
That, clothed in white, through the bright city gates,
They may with triumph enter in."

Have a wonderful Sunday, and may we all be diligent in praying for our children and all the children of the World.

*image of Elizabeth Elliot from googleimages.com

7 comments:

  1. What an ideal prayer for our children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and will pray it often.

      Delete
  2. Since my youngest daughter claims Elizabeth
    Eliot as a second mother(my words,not hers)
    And since I know you wouldn't mind, I am
    sending your blog to Nancy. The book is one
    of her favorites and she will recognize the
    prayer.
    Would have loved having you as a pastor's
    wife. Thanks for sharing so much with all
    of us in blog land. Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Joy. I'm sure you would have been one of my favorite church members..(If Pastor's wives can have favorites~HaHa) Seriously, I think Elizabeth Elliot is one godly and inspirational women who has touch so many lives.
      Blessing on you my dear friend, and give your daughter my love too.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful and thoughtful prayer.
    It is a good reminder to pray for our children and their children.
    I needed this inspiration this morning.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)