Monday, April 8, 2013


IS GOOD FOR THE GANDER....We've all heard that expression, and today I was laughing to myself as I repeated it several times.   Let me explain!

We have become very good friends with our next door neighbors, Bret, Honeg and their son Dante.  His wife is a wonderful cook and shares delicious food with us, but she doesn't bake, and Bret and Dante are totally into "baked goods".  In fact a few weeks ago, Bret showed up with a large grocery bag of cake mixes and brownie mix, and a big bag of walnuts.  So I've been keeping them in "Sweets".
Well today is Bret's Birthday, and I ask him what was his favorite cake and he said "German Chocolate" so I decided to make one for his "45th" Birthday.


And that's where the Goose and Gander come in.  As I was mixing up the cake, I thought why not take out a little batter and make a little cake for me and Don..... Hey what's good for the goose is good for the gander...Especially if the Gander is doing the baking...HaHa.
 

 
Also, Bret and Dante love my Chicken Noodle Casserole so I thought why not complete his Birthday with the casserole.  And, true to the saying...What's good for the Goose...So I made us one too.  I just hope when his wife gets home from work...their cake isn't all gone!  HaHa.
 
Well, that was my Monday....how was yours??

19 comments:

  1. That cake makes me wish I was your neighbor! The casserole looks good too. We drove home from Tulsa today and were just trying to catch up from a busy weekend with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a friend and bass guitar player that lives in Tulsa. Catching up after a drive like that takes time. Wish I could have had a cake and casserole waiting for you when you got home.

      Delete
  2. what a beautiful cake, that was such a lovely thing to do, I have been busy busy, and I tried to fix my blog, my post is up but not showing on readers list, I'm not sure whats wrong, have a good sleep my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your blog problems... I'm going to start praying for your blog!!!

      The cake tasted good too. I hardly ever make German Chocolate, so it was a treat for us too.

      Delete
  3. I bet he was very delighted to get such a wonderful nice birthday dinner an cake too.

    Both of those cakes looks really good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, he was very happy...His wife didn't have to cook dinner when she got home..so that was nice for her too.

      Delete
  4. You are a very dear neighbor! My mom always baked German Chocolate cake at the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not made one in a long time. Usually my baking is cookies and breads. Not many cakes as it's too much for the two of us.

      Delete
  5. My Monday was busy. I took Mom back tot he eye doctor at 11am, got home around 1 pm, and took myself a good nap. I needed one to help me recharge after my weekend headache. Then I made meatloaf, straightened and vacuumed the house, and Nate and Sabrina came for supper. We had decaf coffee with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you are a wonderful neighbor. Have you ever thought about relocating to the cold and windy northeast?

      Delete
    2. You did have a busy Monday. Martha I haven't made meatloaf in a long time, and I love it. I also love to make scalloped potatoes when I make meatloaf for an oven dinner.

      Delete
  6. Ummm, yummm, I love German Chocolate cake. The birthday one looks divine.
    I need your recipe for the chicken noodle casserole.
    It sounds like a perfect Sunday after church potluck dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so so easy...I'll send you the recipe..Nothing has to be cooked ahead of time as I use the canned Chicken breats from Costo. 1 can for a med casserole and 2 cans for a potluck dish. It can be ready for the oven in 15 min.

      Delete
    2. I didn't know CostCo had canned chicken breasts. I'll have to look into that.
      Looking forward to getting the recipe too. I'm always looking for fast and inexpensive meals to feed 10-12 people. It seems like that is the usual # for Sunday lunch/dinner.

      Delete
  7. Double the fun and the yum!!!! You are such an amazing neighbor, Wanda. And, I love the beard on your Beloved. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was double the fun. And our little cake, just enough to enjoy without the guilt. HaHa Yes, I'm loving my dearest's beard.

      Delete
  8. Looks yummy. Don's looking a really cool dude!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It great when you food is Yummy, and your hubby looks yummy too. HaHa...He thinks he's pretty cool now. HaHa

      Delete
  9. So sweet of you to make the casserole and cake for them and very smart to make a little for yourself at the same time. It's like when I shop and pick something up that reminds me of a particular friend -- one for me, one for you. :) Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)