Tuesday, April 2, 2013

BIRD EYE VIEW OF MARCH


My Sabbatical for the Month of March was anything but dull.  Here are a few things that we enjoyed.  A wonderful Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich in Hollywood with friends after Church.  An hour wait...but it was worth it.


Saint Patrick's Day was celebrate with Corn Beef, Cabbage and red potatoes with a wonderful garlic mustard from Trader Joe's.  The store was completely out of Rye Bread so I decided to try my luck at making some.
 
I bought a bag of Bob's Red Hill Rye flour and a jar of Caraway seeds and was on my way to homemade rye bread.  Used the dryer again for a warm place to let it rise.

Decided to make two small loaves instead of one large one.  It turned out really nice, and tasted so good with dinner.


While we were out and about checking out our local Thrift Store, we met this gentleman and it just proves us old folks like to have fun.


Today I made my dearest a fried egg sandwich on our homemade rye bread.  I would have had one too, but I was in the Dentist chair at noon.  This is the second installment of getting a new "mouth".  Today the last old root canal was removed and impressions made for a partial to fill in my missing teach.  Soon, I will be sharing a picture with a BIG smile and NO missing teeth.  I've really needed to do this for years, but life got in the way.

 
Since I was on a homemade bread kick, I tried homemade crackers and they turned out so yummy.  The round ones are rye, and the square ones are flax seed.  So easy.  I've been looking up cracker recipes.  Not many cookbooks have them.
 

Last, but not least, I am well on the way of finishing the quilt for the new grand baby coming in June.  Talked to Jill today, and we are all getting so excited.  She's going to call us on Skype tonight so we can see out big the baby bump is ...She said it a lot more than a "bump" now at seven months.

I may have to take a month off every year.....It was so very nice to take a break from the Computer, but I really was ready to get back.  I missed all of my friends the most, and thank a few of you who emailed me from time to time.

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI~~ really hate Anonymous "spam" comments, but have some ligit friends that are "Anonymous"....so will leave it open for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were busy, busy, busy, but looks and sounds like you got a lot accomplished. I wish I still enjoyed baking like I use to, but all the standing gets me so badly in the knees, hips and lower back. Again, glad you're back. I wonder, what would I be doing if I didn't have a computer? Watching more TV, reading, visiting with the neighbors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty ~ I'm so fortunate to have really good health, and lots of energy for my age. I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can, as I know one of these days I will run out of gas...haha.

      Delete
  5. what an exciting time you had, i hope all goes well at the dentist today, that is a lovely quilt and you look so pretty quilting away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wrote this post, it was a couple of weeks ago, (waited till April to post) so I'm all done with the dental work and will get my new partial Friday. Yeah...a new smile.

      Delete
  6. Homemade bread is something my Mom mde on a regular basis, but I have never attempted. You stayed very busy on your sabbatical. The quilt is a happy looking quilt for your new baby. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a "fun" sabbatical, as I was free to do what I wanted. I did get a lot of rest, study and praying done too..but don't have pictures of that HaHa. The quilt does make me happy.

      Delete
  7. So happy to see that darling quilt.
    Oh how I wish I could do what you are doing with your teeth. I still have a gap in my smile.
    The bread looks so divine, lucky Don to have those yummy sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so enjoying Jill's quilt! Over half done now.
      The Lord gave us a wonderful Christian Dentist that has given us a wonderful discount. That plus some $ I had saved. I've had my two gaps for many many years, Sue!! It never stopped me from smiling big.

      I'm on a "yeast" bread kick!!!!

      Delete
  8. sounds like you had lots of fun.

    homemade crackers...I bet they were wonderful! That's something I'd like to try!

    I have a few anonymous friends, too and have to deal with the few spams that get through. If you click 'remove forever', it will take them off your comment list completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Betsy...it was a good thing for me to do. The crackers were fun, since you don't have to use yeast. I want to find some cute cookie cutters for next time.

      Thanks for the tip about "remove forever". I saw that, but will do that next time.

      Delete
  9. My spam folder typically catches those anonymous spam comments, the ones that come with broken English and plea for me to visit their web site. If not for the spam filter, I'd be more than tempted to set of the word verification again.

    I love your month off. I've thought of leaving Facebook for a time, but I really don't know if I could ditch the blog for that long.

    Good for you on the baby quilt. Our new grandbaby arrives in August and it's another boy. I guess somebody already used up all the girls. Oh well, Aubrey gets to keep her favored granddaughter status a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good time off Martha. fb was easier to leave than blogging for me. Nice to be back.

      We don't know what Jill's baby is...they want to be surprised... I hoping for a little redheaded girl like Jill...we have lots of boys.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the update Wanda! Missed you on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)