Friday, April 5, 2013

A FEW RANDOM THINGS THIS WEEK

 
A spring bouquet on the coffee table makes me happy!  The Iris is from my garden, and the Tiger Lilies from the grocery store.


Do you know what this is?  I didn't.  It's a gift from Elizabeth.  When I visited her this week, she said she had a gift for me, and proceeded to pull this pan (before I cleaned it up) from her bottom drawer in a plastic bag.  She said she had it for years upon years, and it looked like it, a it was really quite dirty.  She said it had been in storage, and she ask her son to bring it so she could give it to me as she know I bake a lot of pies.  Now when an Apple or Berry pie boils over the edge, the extra lip will catch it, and it's also easy to take the pie out of the oven.   I just love that dear lady.  She is always thinking of me.  I don't know if it has an official name, but I'm tickled to have it.

This morning, a large speckled white dove landed on the front lawn for a worm or two and was able to get a picture with my zoom.  I started singing "On the wings of a Snow White Dove"...and now I can't get the tune out of my head.


Met a lady in the line at the grocery store buying fresh beets.  I ask her how she cooks them, and she said she bakes them just like potatoes.  Cuts the stalk off close to the beet, and removed the tail.  Washes them rubs them with olive oil, makes a puncture or two, wraps them in foil, and bakes for an hour in the oven.  I tried it.... Oh my goodness..talk about delicious..doesn't even taste like a beet.  It soft, I added a little salt and butter, and the lady at the store says she adds some goat cheese.

Our Christmas Cactus (Which was Don's Mothers) got it's holidays mixed up and started blooming for Easter...I hope it blooms again at Christmas.

What kind of week did you have??

12 comments:

  1. thats a nifty pie pan, I usually put a cookie tray under mine, this pan is much better!
    I have never saw a dove like this, very pretty!
    I read this tip on cooking beets on Pinterest, I haven't tried it yet, I'm so glad it works, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to try it. I see an Apple Piein the near future.

      Blessing for your weekend to be a very good one.

      Delete
  2. Wow...what a neat pie pan! You'll have to look on Google and see about those! I've never heard of them!

    That just makes me want to try beets! I'll have to look for some fresh ones!

    You are the fourth blogger to say their Christmas cactus bloomed for Easter! Different ladies all over the world! Isn't that something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, I checked Google, and can't find anything close! There is a drip pan you put your pie pan on, but nothing connected.

      I made Chicken Marsela tonight, and it was good...as Don and I were licking the plates clean...I said...I should have got a picture!!!! Next time.

      That so interesting about the Christmas Cactus blooming for Easter.

      Delete
  3. Elizabeth is a wonderful lady and I am so happy she has you in her life. I have never seen one of those pie pans, but I will be keeping an eye out! LOL! We LOVE beets; I'm going to have to give them a try prepared like this! Thank you, Wanda! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly love this dear lady. Think I'll make a pie this week and try it out.

      Delete
  4. Very cool photos! My irises are not quite ready yet, just peeking up out of the ground but soon will be in bloom. Daffodils are everywhere and of course the stinky pear trees. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Has four more iris this morning. I love daffodills... I need to plant some.

      Delete
  5. Love that Elizabeth has been thinking about you! Such a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom had a pie plate with a "catch the drips" ridge, but not quite like this one.
    Maybe we should plant some beets in the garden after all. This way of fixing them sounds easy and good!
    Add me to the list of those with a Spring-blooming (hot pink) "Christmas" cactus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to bake a couple of beets tomorrow night. They were so good.

      So you have a mixed up Christmas Cactus too. HaHa.. I love it~

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)