Saturday, February 16, 2013

REMEMBERING A DRY SEASON IN MY LIFE

 
It was the Winter of 2003 and not only was the weather cold and dismal, but that's the way I felt in my Spiritual Journey ~ cold and dismal.  It wasn't that I was going through some deep or difficult circumstances.  Just the opposite ~ I was a leader in the Women's School of Ministry, teaching a Women's Bible Study, visiting the elderly ~It was a good time of Ministry.  And that was the problem ~ I was so busy studying, leading, visiting that I was neglecting the Lover of my Soul.  I longed for solitude and quiet ~ time to just spend with my Lord.  I was longing for intimacy with Him, and one night, just fell on my face and cried out I want to spend time with you Lord, but I can't find any!!  When you are in the pit, and cry out really seeking an answer....He will give you one. 
 
I went to bed that night exhausted from pleading so hard and fell into a deep sleep.  At that time, beside the Church activities, I was was working in Property Management full time and got up every morning at 6:30 AM to get ready for work.  At 4:00 AM on the DOT, I woke from a deep sleep, and though I didn't hear an audible voice, it could not have been any louder in my soul.  "Wanda, come and meet Me at the little glass table in the corner of the living room." 
 
And for the next 2 years, I woke up at 4:00 AM and hurried to my "Private Vineyard" where I spent and hour or so, in my "Garden" where I met and fell in love with Jesus and His Word in a way that changed my life.  I no longer worship Him from a distance, but face to face every morning.  Learning new and wonderful things.  Finding new nuggets of truth and application in His Word.  I had been given a beautiful Journal with a lavender cover and a bunch of grapes on the front, so that became the book I recorded this journey in.  I also added some artificial grapes and pomegranates in a bowl and a candle on my little glass table...it was truly my Secret Garden Vineyard.
 
With my Worship Bible, my journal and my songbook I began a journey that changed my life forever.
 
Song of Songs 7:12 "Let us go early to the vineyards to see if the vines have budded, if their blossoms have opened, and if the pomegranates are in bloom ~~there I will give you my love."
 
So I prayed this prayer every morning ~ Oh Lord, I will rise early to meet You.  I will spend time alone with You, whispering the secrets of my heart. I will wait for You assurance and celebrate your presence.  In the vineyard of Your love I will be satisfied.  For You are the Vine and I am a branch.  Abiding in You, I receive all that I require to live as Your child in this world ~ all the peace, the power, the grace, the hope, the mercy, the love.  So I will rush to Your Vineyard in the early hours where I know I will find You waiting for me."
 
Next Sunday, I'll share the song that became so real, and part of this journey into intimacy with the Lover of my Soul.
 
PS.  I did go back to bed by 5 or 5:15 and grabbed another hour or so of sleep!!  I was always able to fall back asleep and wake up refreshed... It was a "God" thing.
 
 

12 comments:

  1. It is a dry season here. I so miss my old church and the Bible teachings, the ability to be there Sunday morning and evening, and Wednesday nights, but that is not where God has me now. He does, however, have me in the palm of His hand, and one day the water will flow again.

    Thank you for your story and your words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seasons of our lives... We all have them. I'm praying for your dry season, that soon you can go to the garden of your heart, and find the vines ripe, and the flowers bright. Love you Martha.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for this encouraging word. I really hadn't realized that I was in a dry place too.
    Too busy doing....
    Praying about direction now.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, isn't it true...one of Satan's best devices, is being busy in the "Father's Vineyard"...Your work is so important to your Church, but I know the Lord will give you a time and place to carve out some special time with HIM!. Love your sensitive heart, my dear friend. Love you!

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely devotion. Wishing you a wonderful day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tammy. You wish is already coming true. Wonderful Sunday School class, Worship Service, good message on the Lord's Prayer, and lunch with two good friends.
      Wish your day to be wonderderful too. Love and Hugs...

      Delete
  4. I loved this. I've had a few times where God spoke to me like that...times that were so real you could swear you heard an audible voice. Those times certainly are special and they do stay with you! Love that He told you even where to go...to that little table. And I especially love that he answered your prayer in such a straightforward and direct way. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those moments are so precious aren't they. Funny, now that I'm retired, it seems sometimes even harder to carve our personal time with the Lord. But those lessons learned 10 years ago, have become habit, but not at 4 O'Clock in the morning..HaHa.

      Delete
  5. I loved your devotional today! It reminded me of 2009 when I my appendix ruptured and I was in so much pain for a year after the surgery. I couldn't sleep for very long in a bed so I had to get up at 4 every morning to ease the pain. I decided to use that time to read the Bible and pray. I got to the place where I looked forward to getting up at the time just to meet with my Lord. He has answered many prayers since that time. He has now moved us to a place of ministry so maybe He was preparing us. ANyway, thank you for sharing your life with us. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cher, I think I remember when you were going thought that time. You had your blog, and I remembering it was during my cancer journey, and we share back and forth...Oh am I wrong. I try to keep up with you on fb, but I loved reading your blog when you were active on it.
      I'm thrilled with your and Alan's new ministry. God is good, and you and Alan wonderful servants.

      Delete
  6. Wanda, this post just causes me to have to catch my breath. There was a period of seven years that every. single. morning. I shared such a beautiful time with my Savior. I don't know how it slipped away. Reading me makes me long for that precious time again. Thank you. blessings and hugs and continuted prayers for Nora ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are such precious moments aren't they, Tanna. I needed it so much at that time, and it taught me so many lessons, and formed a habit that has endured. I surely don't get up at 4 AM, but I've never lost the sense of intimacy I found in the garden, and still seek to find time to rush into His presence and be filled. Will talk to Tom today and get an update on Nora...thanks again for your prayers.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)