Thursday, December 20, 2012

SNOWING IN MY SUNNY KITCHEN

I can't stop baking!!  It's Martha's fault.  She posted making her powdered sugar cookies, and having an accident with the sugar and ending up with a powered sugar black blouse.  HaHa.  After a chuckle, I decided I would make "Sandies" and see if it would snow in my kitchen.
 
Betsy ask for the recipe so here it is!
 
SANDIES
 
1 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
(I used walnuts since I have a large supply)
 
Cream butter and sugar; add 2 tsp. water and 2 tsp vanilla; mix well.  Blend in flour and nuts.  Chill 4 hours.  Shape into balls with fingers.  Bake on ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheet at  325 degrees for about 20 minutes.  Remove from pan; cool slightly; roll in powered sugar.  (I use a large zip top plastic bag to coat mine.)  Luckily it didn't break like Martha's and my red top is till red!! HaHa.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

When I was shaking my bag, one of the cookies broke... Oh dang, I guess I've got to eat that one!!! Mmmmm.  Yeah, it was good.  Melts in your mouth.
 
Today I'm visiting Elizabeth, so I'll take her some "snow balls"
 
What will come out of the kitchen tomorrow...stay tuned in..same time, same station.  Sending love and good smells from my kitchen to yours!!

20 comments:

  1. I laughed. My kitchen has been quiet today and my snowball cookies are hiding in the cupboard. I didn't even eat any, but I sure am thinking about it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just asked if I could go anywhere, where would it be and I said to visit you. :)

      Delete
    2. Now stop it Martha...You're making me tear up. I read it to my dearest, and he said fly into Burbank Airport, it's only 10 minutes from our house!!

      Someday...it's on my wish list to visit with you and Betsy..Couln't the three of us have a blast!!!

      Delete
    3. We definitely could! That would be so much fun. :)

      Delete
  2. Yum, yum!

    And if Martha is coming out there, I am, too! She can't have all the fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, that's now officially on my Bucket List!!!

      Delete
  3. This cookie has all sorts of names but at Christmas I like to call them snowballs because that's what they look like. When I lived in Louisiana, we rolled them really small and they were called sandtarts. My friend makes them and calls them Mexican Wedding cookies. Whatever you call them, they are a favorite around here. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa...I really love your little sandtarts...I was reading it w/o my glasses, and thought you called them "sandfarts"...HaHa.

      You are right whatever you call them they are good!!!

      Delete
  4. Oooh, I can feel the love and almost smell it coming from your kitchen, Wanda!! ;) Sure wish I lived next door so I could help you out with those broken ones. hee hee. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tanna if we were neighbors I'd never be at home...I'd be at your house watching you knit. Oh I would bring snacks...tee hee.

      Delete
  5. How fun! Mama made these when I was little. Of course you had to sample the broken one!!! Merry Christmas dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, if the bag had "accidentally" fallen, I could have had a few more broken cookies...like I need them..HaHa.

      Delete
  6. Yummy! The recipe looks very similar to the Greek Kourabiethes cookies I make every year, except there is a bit more butter!!! The thing about powdered sugar, is that it never seems to go where it is needed! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What ever the recipe...if it has lots of butter or cream.. I love it. I remember the Movie. Julie, Julia the line with her accent..."Butter and Cream"

      Powdered sugar with a mind of it's own..haha

      Delete
  7. Love your oops, broken cookies.
    Wanda, you are definitely the Baking Queen!
    I'm off now to Church for dinner and snack prep for Christmas Eve services #7,8 and 9 tonight. (:0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I might drop another or two getting them into the Christmas Baskets...haha.

      Know your Christmas Eve services will be spectacular.

      Delete
  8. The Shepherds pie in your previous post looks wonderful. It must be a pleasure to live next door to you with all those wonderful cooking smells wafting over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, I have to admit the Shepherds Pie was divine!

      I do share with my neighbors, and they do love living next door. Brings me pleasure to share my gift of cooking.

      Delete
  9. I made these today too! I ate a couple and I never broke any!!!Your chili sounds so good!I love the mega stocking too! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really a popular cookie isn't it. OK, now I think I'm going to have to go back and pull one out of the "already bagged" for Christmas inventory. Tee Hee.

      Would you believe I found that huge stocking at the Dollar Store! It's made very good too.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)