Saturday, December 1, 2012

MY DAD AND CHRISTMAS

 
Christmas is a time for memories,
a time for recalling the scenes and happenings
that are treasured always in our hearts.
It is also a time for love and generosity of spirit,
a time for renewing family ties and friendships,
and for exchanging the thoughts, events,
kind deeds, and observances that have added
to the true meaning and happiness of life.
~ Author unknown
 
My Dad taught me something about Christmas I will never forget.  Every year he would look for a family in need to share groceries and presents and a tree.
 
I remember coming home from Biola College one Christmas and working for several weeks in a local store in the Toy Department.  My Dad hadn't found the family yet, and we all kept our eyes open for the family the Lord would show us.
 
A young woman came into the toy department, looking at every shelf, and looking at every price.  I asked her if I could help her and she said she had ten dollars to buy Christmas gifts for her two children.  We didn't have much in the price category and I showed her a few items for a little girl and boy.   She was embarrassed and begin to explain the hardship she was in without work and two children.  I ask her if she would be willing to accept a few things from my family to get her through Christmas and she broke down in tears. 
 
To make a long story short...I called my Dad and that evening we took a tree with trimmings.  My mom put together a lovely and generous food basket.   And I picked out the doll that the mom was eyeing but could not afford, and a really nice truck for the little boy.  A few personal things for the mom were added.
 
The house was small, but clean and the reception we got and the laughs, tears and smiles are memories I will hold in my heart forever.  I went back to college that year with a new appreciation for the generosity of my Dad, and the joy of giving BIG!
(That was 52 years ago, and I remember it like it was yesterday ~Thanks Dad)

16 comments:

  1. Precious memories. I am always blessed by your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy, I think blogging is a blessing..and love all my blog friends, new and old.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful gift to you from your Dad. A precious memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad left this world way too early..at 57. But in those years many families were blessed by his generosity.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love that story! What a wonderful thing to do. Giving really is better than receiving! I'm sure that family still remembers that Christmas 52 years ago, just like you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy...Now that's a thought. Wouldn't it be fun to know where she and her children are today. They would be grown of course. Maybe I'll meet them in heaven!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn. I have always like this watercolor and that old oak tree. Did it several years ago for a Christmas Card.

      Delete
  5. Your story/memory captures the true meaning of Christmas. Thank you for sharing.
    Your biscuits/gravy for lunch sound delicious to me.
    Hope you have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mildred, I must admit, my biscuits were not from scratch..I fudged and used Bisquick~but the homemade country gravy made the difference. HaHa.

      Delete
  6. Oh my! I love this story so much. I am glad God gave you a Daddy like that. Thank you for sharing this. I hope we will be able to do something like this over Christmas this year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky so glad you came by and enjoyed my memory. I too hope a lot of people will go beyond themselves, and find someone to bless this Christmas.

      Delete
  7. Dave and I have several times done a money "secret Santa" to some friends who we knew were in dire need of tires and another for paying a large bill that was due.
    We actually couldn't afford to do what we did but because we were obedient to that still small voice we were blessed abundantly in many ways.
    I don't think they ever guessed we did it.
    It was so much fun hearing them talk about the miracle that happened to them.
    Your Daddy sounds like he was a truly wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sue, this gives me goose bumps..The best kind of given is "secret". I remember when our son was going to a Church is So. CA...at that time he was long hair, shabby jeans, etc. There was a family in the Church in need that didn't know Myk, so his friend gave him an envelope with money in it to personally deliver to the door. He rang the bell and handed them the envelope and left. The next Sunday his friend said he called him and said I know what Angels look like, one came to my door and gave me this money! God works in strang ways...

      Delete
  8. Dear Wanda... that's the kind of story that melts the heart and brings tears of appreciation to the eyes... Thank you for sharing it. =) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanna, I don't ever want to forget the giving spirit, and that we are "servants" of the Lord to be blessings to others.

      You are a blessing to me.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)