Thursday, December 6, 2012

FRUIT CAKE ~ YES OR NO??


Do you like fruit cake?   Do you make fruit cake?  I find most I talk to say NO!  But as you can tell by my collage...my answer is YES!  Now I do have a certain criteria.  My all time favorite store bought Fruit Cake is "Mary of Puddin Hill, NY."  (top picture) I tasted it for the first time in Texas several years ago, and it was so delicious.  So that is my guide for my homemade fruit cake.

The ingredients I use are candied pineapple, red and green cherries, dates, golden raisins, dried cranberry raisins, walnuts and pecans.  This is all held together with very small amount of flour, eggs, brown sugar, orange juice, butter and molasses. 

Since no one in our family likes fruit cake, I'm baking it in small loaf pans, and freezing it.  Then all through the year, when I'm in the mood for a hot cup of coffee and a slice of fruit cake...it will be at my finger tips.

My mother always make fruit cake, but I didn't like it because of the the hard citrus fruit and more dough than fruit.  She also wrapped hers in cheese cloth soaked in rum, and I didn't like that taste as a kid.  That's probably why her's always dissapeared.   I think it was those Uncles of mine.  Tee Hee.

I understand when most people receive a fruit cake as a gift..it gets played forward...and forward, and forward...HaHa.

My kitchen smells really good, as the last pumpkin was cooked this morning, and 5 little loaves of Pumpkin-date-chocolate chip bread are cooling on the counter.

What did you do today?

7 comments:

  1. I love fruit cake. I've never made it. I love Publix supermarket's fruit cake. I agree that a slice with a cup of coffee throughout the year would be a real treat!
    We did a little bit of shopping in a small downtown area today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just typed a long response to your comment...and when I published it, it said sorry for the inconvenience..and it dissapeared. Bummer. I'll try again.
      I'm going to get a little shopping done tomorrow for the grandkids. Think I'll take a break from baking for a day. Have company coming Sunday!

      Delete
  2. I love fruit cake, my gramma made it, my mum, and I do too.We like ours with lots of pineapple, lots for cherries and almond slivers, The Shriners sell a really good fruit cake here and we always buy one as well.Its a worthy cause and we are a family of fruit cake lovers!! I watched the snow blow around, did a bit of wrapping, mostly just puttered, moving things around
    ( decorations) , Garry helped wrap and together we made a pasta casserole, thats my day,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love pineapple too. I'm going to put a lot in mine too.

      Sounds like you had a good day. I love casseroles.

      Delete
  3. My blog friend Kristen, from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker posted a very nice fruitcake recipe a few years ago. I've been thinking about trying it out again this year.

    Wegmans (A local grocery chain)has some good fruitcake. If we get a hankering for some, we get it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://frugalanticsrecipes.com/2010/12/make-your-own-monday-48-fruitcake/

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the link, Martha. I just went over and checked out the recipe. Looks like a good one. Might try it next year since I already have everything I need for this year.

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)