Friday, July 27, 2012

GOOD DEEDS AND CAT FOOD


All the above pictures are from googleimages.com

The elderly lady in line with me at the grocery store was not someone of means, as her dress was old, shoes worn out, and her long grey hair matted.  She had 3 small cans of cat food in her hand. The lines were long, even in the express, so we had a conversation.  (She really did look similar to the google image)

She told me her name was Kathy and she had one cat that was very old.  We shared stories of cats and dogs and previous pets and I saw such a loneliness in her blue eyes, yet she seems so please to be having this chat with me.  I was glad the line was long, as we talked for quite some time. 

She was behind me, but I asked her to go in front since she had little to buy.  She smiled and put the cans of cat foot on the counter.  I smiled at the Cashier and said I would like to pay for her cat food.  She said "Oh no, that's not necessary."  To which I replied, "I know that, but I really need to do a "Good Deed" today as the Lord has bless my life with our conversation." She smiled, and  the clerk put her cat food in the bag, handed it to her, and she thanked me and walked away.

When I finished paying and walked to the door to leave, a very nicely dressed attractive, woman stopped my cart, and said "I work for corporate Von's and I just saw what you did for one of our customers.  That was a very sweet and precious thing you did, thank you".   Feeling a little embarrassed, I said "Everyone  needs a "Good Deed" once in a while". 

I knew God was watching.... I was doing it for Him...but how nice that one of Von's managers saw Christ in Action.   And that's what a good deed is....Christ in Action in us!

Have a wonderful weekend.  We're off to visit our kids for the weekend.

12 comments:

  1. That is a very sweet story. True you did it for God, but we are a testimony and witness, too. How wonderful..one deed touched two people at the same time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, I dreamed about her last night, and was carrying her down some stairs like a child. It was the most bizzar dream and she was in a lot of it. I pray God will watch over her.

      Delete
    2. Oh, what a dream! I prayed for her, too!

      Delete
    3. I ask the Lord to put her in my path again, if he wants me to have more of a relationship with her. Thanks for your prayers, Betsy.

      Delete
  2. Very sweet and touching, and I am so glad you had the chat with the lady and treated her cat to cat food. I think she will long remember your kindness and the corporate lady will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a wonderful book years ago, called "Seizing the Moment" and it talked about how many opportunities are out there for good, if we just see them and seize the divine moment. I'm so glad I did yesterday.

      Delete
  3. oh i love this story. it made my day.
    i agree, everyone needs a good deed in their life - we all have so much to be thankful for!
    happy weekend
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather...I see your thankfulness in your blog all the time. It's a good way to live, don't you think?

      Delete
  4. You were the Lord in flesh Wanda. Thank you for the reminder to seize the day and the opportunity.
    I need to remember to listen to those small promptings more often.
    Enjoy your weekend with your kids.
    I can't wait until you are here. It won't be long now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think of all you and Dave do in your volunteer work, I see Jesus in Dave and Sues skin too, We all have a part, don't we?

      Delete
  5. What a touching story... I agree with Betsy Brock's first comment. I see the ripple effect; each choice we make can cause the sorrows of our past or the joy of our future. You touched two lives at the grocery store, and that's just of who you know. I'm sure the clerk was also touched, and who knows how many more saw the exchange between you and the cat lady. Your actions probably changed some attitudes that day... Just reading your story, I felt something shift inside me. : )

    Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.

    Love you Wanda mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela dear, that is so true..that ripple effect that you mentioned and the picture you put on fb, so tell the story.
      Loving you today...as always

      Delete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)