Monday, June 25, 2012

HUMBLE BEGINNINGS

1941 My parents came to California from Oklahoma.  Mom's parents, and her sister and husband moved to California a year earlier.  My dad said mom cried every day, wanted to move to California and be close to her family.  (Boy do I understand that!).  So with my mom 6 months pregnant with me, and my big sister Donna age 5, they came to California, and the note on the back of the picture, says "Our first home in California (1941)

My dear Dad, a 6th grade education, but a brilliant mind, hard working, and a notion he could do anything!  Thus, when I was three years old, he had completed this home, built from scratch with his own two hands.  It was a modest home, two bedrooms, small bathroom, living room and dining room and a little kitchen that reminds me of my little retirement cottage kitchen.  It was my home until I left for college in 1959.


Doesn't that remind you of pictures I posted of me in my kitchen.  Now you know where I get my love of cooking, aprons, and spending time in my kitchen making cookies!

I thank God everyday for my humble beginnings, and the lessons learned from my parents, of hard work, determination, believing in your dreams.

12 comments:

  1. Humble beginnings help you appreciate what you do have. You also learn self sufficiency. Even when we have a lot materially, it's good put our eyes on a diet. Like Jesus said, keep your eye simple.

    That little trailer brings back memories, though. After hubs got out of the military, we went into the ministry and lived in one for 4 years moving it from one assignment to another. Not hard to keep your eye simple in a small 35' travel trailer, lol!

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved reading your comment, Sia. Wow, we were in ministry for many years, and lived in a number of parsonages...but never in a 35'trailer. Would love to here more about that adventure.

      Delete
    2. Sometime I'll share it with you, Wanda. Good times. :-)

      Delete
  2. such a wonderful childhood you must have had, such a talented man your Dad was,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was certainly blessed, Laurie..not only did I have a wonderful set of parents, I had neighbors, that were like second parents to me, and their daughter, Kris, my lifelong friend. My Dad died of cancer at 57...way way too young...I miss him.

      Delete
  3. Amen Wanda.
    Your's was a humble and blessed life.
    Your Dad sounds like someone I would like to have known...well of course your Mom too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have loved his stories...he had a million of them.

      Delete
  4. OK to CA? Your parents were very wise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really isn't what you have, but what you do with it. What a cute story. That little trailer just makes me smile. And after living in that, the tiny house you grew up in probably seemed spacious and wonderful! Very sweet photo of your mom, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a truth, Betsy. And Mom...she was a sweetheart...how I miss her, but her recipes live on....on...and on.... In fact today when I talked to Jill (will be visiting her in OR in Aug) She said Mom while you here I have to learn to make Grandma's potato soup!....And we will.

      Delete
  6. How special to have a picture of your mom in the kitchen. We should take more candid 'daily life' pictures.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)