Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A PRICE PAID


Our son, Myk has always loved working with wood, and when he was in Junior High school, made his own skateboard.  It was unique since he put it all together, painted it clued on the tar paper and attached the special wheels.  He was very proud of his work, and so was I.

We were serving in a Church in Bell Gardens, CA and the kids would go to the Church where Dad was working, and do there homework.  After homework Myk would ride his skateboard in the church parking lot.  One day, for whatever reason, stuck his skateboard behind the bushes by the church and went inside for a while.  You guessed it?  When he came back for his board it was GONE!

Myk knew he should never have left it outside, as the Church was not is the best of neighborhoods and things at the Church had been stolen before.  He was heartsick, but realized it was the consequence of not taking better care of his board and would never see it again.l

After that we always kept an eye out for that unique skateboard....but nothing.  Then one day months later I was driving by the Church and saw a kid on Myk's board!  I put on the brakes, and yelled at the boy.  He stopped in surprise as I jumped out of the car!!

"That's my son's skateboard" I said with amazing authority!  "Where did you get it?"
I think I almost scared the pants off the young man, as he said trembling, "I bought it from a guy".  He said he didn't know the person's name he bought it from, but told me he paid $20. for it.  Since I was bigger than the kid, and determined to get Myk's skateboard back, I took the board from is hand, and gave him $20.  As I calmed down, I told him how much work Myk had put into the board, that he had created it and loved it and wanted it back.
He walked off with his $20 and I walked back to my car with Myk's board!

What a reminder....God created us and loved us.  Then we were lost, and he sought us and then bought us back with a high price when he died on the Cross. I'm so glad He did!

24 comments:

  1. I am trying to picture you gently and kindly snatching Myk's prized possession from the boy! So funny!! Last year, we accidentally left our son's walker in a parking lot on our way camping. The police looked for it, it was on the radio, they even wanted to send a news crew to the campground to do a story on it. While he got another in the meantime, when we are in the area, I too keep my eyes out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I guess I'm tougher than I look, haha.

      Did they every do a news story...That is a unique walker too, and probably expensive. Wonder where it ended up, and if someone actually is using it?

      Delete
  2. wonderful story....glad you got it back!!! Bet your son was happy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was thrilled and I believe has the board to this day, and he's 45.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this story. It is great that we will never get lost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that! So glad I was found!

      Delete
  4. What luck you had then at able to spot his skateboard,and how nice of you to pay the little fellow 20 bucks for the board too just to get it back to your son, I can only imagin the look on your son face when you brought his board back to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosy, he couldn't believe his eyes...and did he ever hang on to that skateboard after that!!!

      Delete
  5. That is the kind of story I like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we turn into Superwoman for our kids.
    Love your story and the analogy of being bought with a price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are rigtht, Sue.....Just call me Wanda the Wonder Woman...HaHaHa.

      Delete
  7. That is a great story, Wanda, and one that your son will always remember, too! I liked the analogy at the end. That was a good word!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some memories do last a lifetime. I think he still has that board. He's 45 and has taught both his boys to be very good on a skateboards.

    I love the analogy...I was lost, now I'm found. There is a chrous to a song we sing that says...I'll never know how much it cost, to see my sins upon that cross..."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thing you got the board back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my son was very happy! Never lost it again, took very good care of it. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. What a great story and great analogy, too. I love that you were alert enough to notice it driving by. God just worked all of that out...even that you had a $20 with you! Very neat. :)
    And I think of his rubber band guns...he was creative and industrious even at a young age, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The miracle is that I had $20 on me as that was back in check days. Got must have known I needed it. I can't remember now why I had it in my purse.

      Yes, I've always been proud of that boy. And have several things in wood he made me when he was in woodshop in school.

      Delete
  11. Quick acting on your part to reconize the board that fast while driving . That is a Moms legacy alright. Good for you. My sons bike and he did not build it but it got stolen at 15 . Listen to this. The paper boy stoled it out of the garage. The police found it and happy ending also. My son is 48. He keeps his own garage shut as he has two sons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love these stories we can share. My son is 45...and has two sons. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your story.

      Delete
  12. What an amazing story! Sometimes things come back to you when you least expect it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing story (one I hadn't heard of either) and great metaphor! For you to have a twenty dollar bill is one thing, but to also be driving and just spot it like that.... amazing! I'm sure it also made quite an impression on Myk of how brave mom was. I love how you spelled his name- very unique!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela ~ His birth certificate is Michael......he's very creative and started spelling it Myk as an adult. I like it too.

      Delete
  14. Just catching up on all your posts... love this story. How precious the price that was paid for us...

    Glad you got the skateboard back!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment on my blog, I would love to reply with a response in the "reply" section. Be sure and check back to see what my response to your comment was...(I'm always nice..HaHa)